Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

JUST ANOTHER DAY FOR A RETIRED PERSON IN HAWAII


I went to my Manoa Campus office, tinkered around, posted a blog, talked to Director Richard Rocheleau, who replaced me 15 years ago, and he ecstatically informed me that the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute is doing very well, and is funded for the next few years.  He's hiring many more researchers, so I offered him back my office (hey, I've been retired since Rick replaced me), but he said stick around for a while more.  Buoyed, for the first time this year,  I walked all 18 holes at the Ala Wai Golf Course.  It was an absolutely perfect day, and I shot an 83.


I  talked to Ed Cheng, a Civil Engineering Department colleague, who said he recently got a hole in one at the Royal Hawaiian Golf Course, formerly Luana Hills where I once had a membership.  I still haven't had one yet.  You can see Diamond Head from every hole here:


All the food I had on my long trip, plus the three meals a day at 15 Craigside now for a month, and I weighed in after golf at the lowest I've seen in 25 years.  A satisfactory dinner of spare ribs and a bottle of Chateau St. Michelle, followed with a concert by the Oahu Civic Orchestra, a full blown symphony  group since 1972, Ron Hirai Conductor:


The orchestra has Windward roots and  is linked with Chaminade.  Last week the Royal Hawaiian Band came to entertain us at 15 Craigside.  The program tonight:
  • Light Cavalry Overture (Franz von Suppe)
  • Romance in F, Opus 50, violin soloist Miki Hamada (Beethoven)
  • Emperor Waltz, Opus 437 (Johann Strauss, Jr.)
  • Andalacia Suite (Ernesto Lecuona--you've heard his music...click here)
  • Sound of Music Selections with soloists Martina Bingham and Jeremy Wong

A truly enjoyable day.

-
There is a tropical storm named Arthur, located just east of Florida, moving north, and predicted to become a hurricane on Friday off the coast of North Carolina:


-

No comments: