Typhoon Matmo stormed over Taiwan, and probably caused the crash of a TransAsia Airways flight, killing 48.
- More and stronger hurricanes form with warmer temperatures, and with global warming, it can only get worse.
- A 2 F drop in ocean surface temperatures can prevent the generation of a hurricane.
- In 1993 at the Department of Commerce (operates NOAA) in DC I co-chaired a summit to discuss the potential of OTEC systems to minimize or prevent hurricanes.
- In addition to the Feds and academics, representatives were there from General Dynamics and Lockheed.
- Ambitiously, we designed a plan to finance and operate up to 500 floating OTEC plantships, each at 1000 MW.
Today, I walked the road to Mandalay, a Chinese restaurant:
There was a one-year old birthday party for Mason, but I was squeezed into a table at the window in a small side room. Unfortunately, a loud band was playing when I entered (and continued playing until I left). What was the problem? I was sitting on the other side of the wall behind the drummer:
Fortunately, though, the meal was fabulous. I ordered dried scallop soup, bok choy with oyster sauce and Shanghai dumplings, accompanied by a Tsingtao beer:
After three cupfuls of soup, I hardly changed the level of the bowl. This combination was enough for three people, or more, but only cost me, with tax and tip, $33. So I walked home a container of bok choy in scallop soup. I'm already looking forward to my next meal of this delicious concoction.