a large crack actually opened a few days ago, closing Grand Teton National Park. This site is close to that feared Yellowstone super volcano which now and then hiccups to worry scientists.
British newspapers have a way of exaggerating reality, but, regarding Yellowstone:
- One in 90 births is twins.
- Square that number, and get one in 8100 births being triplets.
- One in 729,000 births results in quadruplets.
- Quintuplets? One in 60 million births.
- There are several sextuplets, with the Gosselins featured in Jon &Kate Plus 8 (right, sextuplets + twins).
- In the U.S. there are two octuplets, in 1998 to the Chukwu family in Texas (seven survived) and the Suleman Octoplets, 2009, in California. The life of Nadya Suleman would fill an encyclopedia. Note the notation of 14 children. She previously had six others, and there is no identifiable father.
- There have been births of nine, and pregnancies up to 15, but none survived.
- Today, fertility treatment is responsible for 36% of twins and 78% of triplets, quadruplets and quintuplets.
- Average gestation is 29 weeks, so all these births will be premature with an average weight less than three pounds.
- Mother will gain around 50 pounds, and almost surely by cesarean delivery.
- The Dione Quintuplets (right), Canada, 1934 were the first surviving set of identical quintuplets. They financially survived by being displayed as a tourist attraction.
- Fischer Quintuplets, South Dakota, 1963, were the first U.S. fivesome.
- Baseball player Melvin Mora became a dad of quintuplets in 2001.
- The mascots of the 2008 Beijing Olympics were quintuplets.
- Five seat strollers are available, but are expensive at $1000.
- Older, larger and taller women are more apt to have multiple births.
- Less likely in the Orient.
- Parents will change 35,000 diapers before child is potty-trained.
- Full term is 40 weeks.
Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson and Pearl, a super-skyscraper 3500 feet tall in Hong Kong. The Burj Khalifa in Dubai at a mere 2717 feet is currently the highest building. A so-so 49% Rotten Tomatoes reviewers rating, but 79% of the audience liked it. I did, for after all, The Rock is from Hawaii, and my high school.
Before the films I had lunch at Goma Tei, located close to Kahala Theater. Good al dente ramen with Kagawa broth: