Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

PaGA 2017: Day 9 Nagoya is Great

My final breakfast at the Osaka Sheraton was okay.  The best part was that when I walked out, the line to get in was at least 50 yards long.


I have now figured out half a dozen ways to get to the Shin-Osaka Station from the Sheraton.  Today, I took the longest route, not on purpose, using five trains and taking 1.25 hours.  However, I got to view some interesting art.  Here the Namba Station, where you can see me in the top photo:


  I barely got to to my Shinkansen on time.  When I reached Nagoya, an example of progressive architecture:


The Marriott Associa Hotel at Nagoya Station could well now be my favorite hotel.  Everything here works well, the location is above the JR station, and the price is about half of the Tokyo Westin.  There is a large Concierge Lounge, but they arranged for both a cold bottle of beer, Cabernet Sauvignon from France and a large amount of mixed nuts in my room.


I learned that the peak of the cherry blossom bloom is tomorrow.  So I caught the subway to Nagoya Castle.  


I went inside, and from a person who hates castle tours, I actually enjoyed this one.  For the feeble, there are elevators.  Those two gold statues on the top of Nagoya Castle are Female and Male Kinshachi, representing power and money, the symbol of the Tokugawa family.  Ieyasu Tokugawa in 1610 began building this monument.  Ieyasu was the first of Tokunagas who served as shogun from 1603 to 1868.  Here is a Kinsachi used for people wanting their photos taken:


The castle was restored in 1868 after the Meiji Restoration, but was destroyed in World War II.  Finally, it was rebuilt in 1959.  On the way out of the castle I saw a place that looked too good to be true.  An empty bench:


You can't see the details, but this is an international hanami:
  • Italian prosciutto.
  • French cheeses.
  • Bread from Japan, and also the beer and sparkling wine, plus the Hokkaido potato chips, which has international marketing potential, crispy at the first bite, then the chip just melts in your mouth.
Amazingly enough, in the 45 minutes I sat here, people kept taking a photo of the sign behind me, but nobody challenged me to leave. In front was the entrance:



To the right were people sitting on rocks:


To the left,  hanamis on the ground:


Above me, but slightly to the right, a crow:


This was such a pleasant experience that I dropped Pearl's Ashes 50+b.  

Back to my Concierge Lounge:


Then sunset from my room:


Map of HonshuTomorrow, I'm catching the Shinkansen to Tokyo to see if the cherry blossom has peaked, or not.  I checked on what a green car seat would cost from Nagoya to Tokyo and back.  $300!!!  My entire Japan Rail Pass is less than double that short roundtrip.

-

1 comment:

LargeDO said...

Hi Uncle Pat,

We missed the Yoshino blossoms but going to visit DC hopefully to see the Kwanzans. Sounds like your tour going well.

Take care
ET