Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

PaGA 2017: Day 23a Hong Kong to Seoul

My final breakfast at the Hong Kong Marriott Sky City:


Okay, is it safe to go to South Korea?  Vice President Mike Pence is there, and, for a calm guy, he is actually threatening North Korea.  It's almost as if the USA wants Kim Jong-un to do something stupid.  He's young, but no idiot, and the real danger to all this noise is to encourage an inside plot against him.  That's the only potential for cataclysm, for if Kim gets desperate, he could well fire off a missile to Seoul, where I'll be for the next few days.

The Japan National Security Council is discussing how to evacuate their 60,000 citizens currently in South Korea in the event of a crisis.  They are refining a plan for commercial ships and planes to remove this group.  I wonder if the U.S. has any idea what we will do?  In 1980 there were only 40,519 foreigners in the country.  Today, more than 2 million, maybe 30,000 Americans, but nothing compared to perhaps half a million Chinese.

Well, too late, I got to the Hong Kong International Airport and had a nice brunch of Japanese Curry Rice, Tonkatsu and New England Clam Chowder with some beer and Bloody Mary, in the Silver Kris Loung:


Asiana's 777...


...has something called:


The business class seats are isolated, and you are smartly hidden.  Goodbye Hong Kong International Airport, also known as Chek Lap Kok Airport (the old one was called Kai Tak Airport):


On the plane, I had a Korean meal of bibimbap, ending with fruits and a glass of Port:


Hello Incheon International Airport:


I was extremely lucky to get on the bus to Sheraton D Cube City, for I got the last seat, at a cost of $12:


While it was only around 6:30PM, the temperature was 49 F, and the thought of waiting in that cold for the next bus is something that did not happen.  Incidentally, my next stop will be Munich, and it was snowing there yesterday.  The Sheraton:


I was whisked up to the 38th floor Executive Club.  You win some, you lose some, for Happy Hour just ended. My room is on this floor and the night view is spectacular:


 I went down the elevator to the Hyundai Department Store market and got an assortment of french fried Korean appetizers, with a beer and soju, to have in my room:


-

No comments: