There are five prominent candidates:
- Age: 55
- Known to have read every book at his elementary school library.
- Received a medical degree and a PhD in physiology from Seoul National University.
- At 27 became the youngest medical college professor.
- He became dean of the the Seoul National University Graduate School of Convergence Science and Technology in 2012.
- Founded an antivirus software company and remains as the largest stakeholder.
I would imagine that, like Donald Trump inexplicably becoming president because American voters were sufficiently disenchanted with traditional politics, Dr. Ahn has come at the right point in South Korean history to become their next leader. The key to this election could well be 20-somethings, who only show around a 50% track record for voting. However, in a recent poll, 94.9% said they will vote. You would think this would give Ahn the edge. However, in another poll, those 20's gave Moon a double edge: 46% to 25%. Thus, this race is difficult to call, although Ahn needs to improve in the final two TV debates.