Total Pageviews

Friday, April 14, 2017

PaGA 2017: Day 19a Get Out and Bangkok

I started my day with breakfast at the M Club of the Marriott Marquis:


I could see the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, about three par-5's away:


Songkran, the Water Festival, continues today, and my cab to the Marriott Sukhumvit got a series of free washes:


If the Marriott Marquis is an 8, the Marriott Sukhumvit is a 4, but my room is quite nice with a good view:


I caught the Skytrain, only two minutes to the station from the hotel, to the Terminal 21 Mall:


There was some entertainment going on:


I had made a fitting with Jackie's for another set of safari shirts, generation #9, so had around 3 hours to do something.  The only movie that fit that schedule was Get Out.  I skipped it back home because I didn't feel like watching a variation of Guess Who's Coming for Dinner, with three Academy Award winners:  Sidney Poitier, Kathryn Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.  Boy, was I wrong.  The movie was totally unexpected.  If GWCFD was an 8 with respect to happiness and a 5 would be racially prejudiced parents, GO was somewhere between 1 and 2.  A shocker!!!  I'll stop here, for the unexpected consequence is worthy of your time and money.  Hint:  Rotten Tomatoes reviewers gave GO a 99 rating, while audiences bestowed an 89.  That great 1967 film, GWCFD, surprisingly enough, earned  68/85 scores.  Wow, that was half a century ago.  Ticket with pop corn and coke cost just about #10.

Anyway, took a bath when I got back to my room:


The Executive Club at the Marriott Sukhumvit, incidentally, is great.  The staffer there got me a reservation tomorrow for lunch at Robuchon's L'Atelier.  I had noodles and two other Thai dishes for dinner, with a scotch on rocks and glass of red wine:


This was my first Thai meal, and it was terrific.

Tomorrow, Chatuchak Market after L'Atelier, kind of a night and day or hell and heaven combination.

-

No comments: