Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 15, 2017

PaGA 2017: Day 20 Heaven and Hell in Bangkok

My day at the Marriott Sukhumvit began with a modest breakfast:


I then returned to the Sheraton Grande Sukhamvit, where my large suitcase was stored.


Lunch today involved a simple Sky Train ride and transfer to  L'Atelier, Joel Robuchon's experimental center for fusion cuisine.  Head chef is Olivier Limousin (left), who came from L'Atelier in London.  Morimoto is also here.

The restaurant is in the tallest building in Thailand, MahaNakhon, 1031 feet high with 77 floors.  Ritz Carlton Residences go up to $17 million.  Robuchon has been called Chef of the Century, and has 28 Michelin stars in a dozen world-wide restaurants.  No chef has more.

Interestingly enough, he is a Freemason, as are many French chefs and English Bishops.  Think of Masonic Lodges, rituals, passwords and an organization only of men, where you need to believe in a Supreme Being to be admitted, but religion and politics are not discussed.  The origin goes back to the Middle Ages and apprenticeships.

You only sit around a bar at this restaurant, and have a view into the kitchen:


Here are the key individuals, beginning with Chef Limousin (from France, below), Maitre D' Glanvito Zizzi  (Italy, left) and Chef Sommelier Jordan Cortes (Spain, right, who made a reservation for me to dine at L'Atelier in Hong Kong on Monday).


I started with a Kir Royale and went on to a white wine from Spain and Red wine from France:


First, a Pour Commencer of crisp and soft Quinoa with smoked Piquillo flavors.  Then  Le Foie Gras involving leeks with foie gras shavings in mustard vinaigrette and egg mimosa.  Next a Pertuis green asparagus cappuccino, fresh cheese tortellini and walnuts.


The tastes were exquisite, if not remarkable.  Truly loved the L'Asperge du Pertuis, where the asparagus comes from Pertuis, I think.  A corn soup:


An incredible surprise was something called an escargot...no, not the snail, but a more delicate  croissant with more butter.

To my left:


The star of the show was Le Cochon de Lait, a term with which I am familiar, because there is an annual Cochon de Lait festival in Mansura, Louisiana (May 11-14, 2017).  Essentially, a beer braised suckling pig serve with green lentils from Le Puy:


Fabulous, absolutely heavenly.  I then selected four cheeses with a port.


And ended with a double expresso accompanying the Petit Fours:


They charged for everything, including the water and coffee.  If I did not have anything to drink, the price would have been less than half.  Anyhoo,  it was expensive, but much cheaper than if I were in Paris.  No doubt the best meal I've had yet on this 20th day of my Global Adventure.

From the air-conditioned comfort and epicurean treatment of L'Atelier, I ventured out on the Sky Train for their enormous weekend outdoor market.  This was like going from Heaven to Hell.  Well, to be more accurate, if Planet Earth is Purgatory--in other words, I have combined Earthly Life and Purgatory--then I need to clarify that within this limbo status, there are variational extremes depending on where you are.  In my Purgatory, no one on this globe will go to the real Hell.  Some might be reborn, depending on your religion, and some might never get purified.


My blue bar and his friends welcomed me to Chatuchak Park:


I walked for a while in Chatuchak Market.


But the heat was too oppressive, plus, I had to visit Jackie's for some shirts:


My evening ended in the Library for my free drinks, plus a Caesar salad and Tuscany soup:


The drinks were Johnny Walker Gold Label on Rocks, Chardonnay and Champagne.  Yes, no question I'm back at the Heaven end of Purgatory.

On the way to my room I took a photo of my hotel neighbors:  from the left, Westin Bangkok, Terminal 21 Mall and the Asok Station of the Sky Train.


Tomorrow, I fly on Thai Air to Hong Kong.

During the past month, I have had 61,061 visitors to this blog site, an all-time high.  Overall, 221 countries have viewed SIMPLE SOLUTIONS FOR PLANET EARTH AND HUMANITY.

-

No comments: