Total Pageviews

Friday, January 17, 2014

ROKU 3

I thought Part 2 of Roku would occur in three months.  Well, of all the things, I happened to read the local newspaper after I posted Part 1 on Wednesday (scroll down to it later) and noticed a long article on the end of cable TV.    For the first time since the early 1970s the number of Americans who get their TV link through cable and satellite actually fell last year.  The drop was 1.8 million.  And you know what is causing this consternation?  Video streaming devices such as Roku using the internet.

With all this gloom and doom, Time Warner Cable, DirecTV and Dish Network stocks went up by 20% last year.  Frankly, I don't think those who bought into these companies know what is happening.  These firms just rode the wave that zoomed the Dow Jones Industrial Average to record highs.  Same for many other companies.  This is partly why I recently sold all my stocks.  I think some serious technical correction will be occurring soon.  There is a certain ebullience about the market that is unwarranted and dangerous.

Back to Roku, so picking up from Wednesday, I went to Radio Shack to purchase an HDMI (which stands for High Definitiona Multimedia Interface) cable so that my Roku 1 could get HD quality performance.  While I was there, I thought, why not also get a Roku 3, the latest, for my TV in the second room, and another HDMI?  My investment is now up to $210, so this new age of TV is not exactly free.   However, note the earphones, which can be connected to the remote control with volume control, so that you can listen without bothering others, or, for me, to understand what is being said, for my hearing is degrading.  I could have gone to Walmart and saved a few bucks, or ordered from Amazon and saved more, but this kind of thriftiness is just not necessary these days.  I live for the moment.

It took me only a few minutes to connect Roku 3, but more important than that, I can now see Netflix on my upstairs system.  Previously, the router, as powerful as it is, had difficulty communicating there, so Roku 3 must be doing something else.


On Wednesday I wondered if Prime membership from Amazon allowed for free movies.  It turns out the answer is yes, but not for all films, and, I'm beginning to see, maybe only a few.  There certainly are more choices here, with no monthly charge (the yearly fee is $79) than Netflix (which adds up to $108/year), and I haven't yet attempted to link with the other FREE movie and services.  Time to quit Netflix?

-

No comments: