- Has 17,508 islands and over 238 million people (that was in 2012--now up to 261 million in 2017).
- Interestingly enough, while 87% are Muslims, on Bali, 92% are Hindu. The situation is reversed from the Hindu India and Muslim Pakistan.
- Bali is half the size of the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Just on this island there are 5,259 temples and two active volcanoes.
- Don't ride a bike here. More dangerous than Honolulu.
- The sentiment against nuclear power is strong, but the reason is almost funny, definitely insulting, but apparently true: after Fukushima, as they say it themselves, we are not too careful, so how can you trust us with anything so dangerous as nuclear power. Then again, this could just be a self-effacing ploy. But it has worked, for nothing currently approved. They do have two uranium mines.
- Time is a work in progress, but don't test them at the airport.
- This is where Julia Roberts came to Eat, Pray, Love.
- Kapi Luwak, or civet coffee, comes from here (Bucket List with Jack Nicholson).
Again, the Dow Jones Industrial Average broke its all-time record, ending above 22,000 for the first ever ever, up 52 to 22,016.