Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 12, 2017

I'M ALIVE AND ALL IS WELL

I'll be 77 next month.  I had my tonsils out around 70 years ago and broke my wrist playing basketball in high school.  Otherwise I've been healthy and never spent a night in a hospital.

All that seemed to have changed a few days ago when I awoke to a slight, but sharp pain, in my left frontal lobe.  My first thought was, oh no, something terrible is happening.  This portion of your brain controls your body.  We've had a lifelong discussion, and I have the gall to remind him about things like fighting the cold virus if I have even a slight sore throat.  It generally works, for I haven't had one for years.
I moved, and there still was a hint of discomfort, but not serious.  Then, for a while there was nothing.  I woke up, went to the bathroom and seemed okay.  There was, sporadically, still something there.  I thought it would be smart to stay in bed all day, just in case.  But, for reasons I can't fathom, decided to go golfing.  I almost totally forgot about that original pain, but towards the end of the round began to get euphoric, for I was alive and well.  This feeling stayed with me until I yesterday completed another 18 holes at the Ala Wai Golf Course.  

The timing was such that I felt it was safe to celebrate.  So, on the way home I went to J-Shop and purchased Japanese Wagyu Beef from Shizuoka at the foot of Mount Fuji, a plate of Hirame (Japanese halibut) Sashimi, three Myoga (a kind of Japanese ginger) and some Natto.  

The rice was Koshihikari from Japan.  I have never had this fermented soybean for anything but breakfast, so experimented with a wasabi enhanced version.  It was okay.

Below, these chunks all sell for around $97/pound, except there is a round steak for "only" $77/pound.  I bought a pound of ribeye.


Here with 2014 San Francisco International Wine Competition Best Sake Double Gold (those were the only English words on the bottle),  J. Lohr 2013 Pinot Noir Stanford Cardinal Classic (13.7% ethanol, from Paso Robles...and that's a painting of the Quad), Sapporo Beer:


I only fried half the pound.  What can I say?  Fabulous!  Eminently gratifying.  A well-deserved reward to my body, in particular the left frontal lobe, for keeping me alive and well so that I can enjoy life to the max.

I'll continue my two-part series on Donald Trump, Robert Mueller III and Al Gore probably on Tuesday.  I'll give you my punch line now:  Global Warming will become a major political issue and Al Gore will be elected President of the USA on 3 November 2020 at the age of 72.  Donald Trump is now 71.  At one time septuagenarians were considered to be too old.

-
There are two new tropical storms in the Pacific, and while Jova, off the coast of Mexico, will approach Hawaii, he will not become a hurricane.  In the West Pacific, Banyan will attain Category 4 strength, but will mosey north without affecting any population base.


-

No comments: