Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 20, 2017

SIMPLE SOLUTIONS FOR HIGH AND LOW BLOOD PRESSURES

If you are from 65 to 74, 64% of males and 71% of females have high blood pressure.  These hypertension percentages increase to 72% for men and 80% for women from the age of 75.

I couldn't find the percentages for hypotension, or low blood pressure,  lower than 90/60.  This fraction must not be of much concern, for almost all medical research is focused on hypertension.

I am the only one I know who suffers from both high and low blood pressures.  Certainly, my simple solutions should not be taken as a cure for your hypertension and hypotension.  But you can take hints and check with your doctor before actually doing anything.

I take two pills for hypertension, and I tolerate them because they keep usually keep my pressures below 140 / 90, and there are other so-called benefits to my body.

If I miss a lunch, the pressures zoom up to 180/100, but eating drops these numbers, usually into the 130 / 85 range.  Advice #1, then, is don't get too hungry.

Sure, I know that foodstuffs like bananas, potatoes, watermelon and nuts can lower your BP.  Further, there is still some controversy here, but, apparently, coffee, as now reported, should lower your blood pressure, and two cups might also reduce the onset of Alzheimer's.  Also, too, while you can find articles indicating that alcohol increases your blood pressure, the very latest research seems to suggest that one or two drinks/day can actually lower your blood pressure.  I believe what best applies to me, plus, this point of view is more recent.

Advice #2:  be careful when you first wake up.   In one study:

The researchers found that a morning blood pressure reading of higher than 155 mm Hg was associated with a seven times higher risk of stroke than a morning blood pressure reading of less than 135 mm Hg. In contrast, an evening blood pressure reading over 155 mm Hg was not associated with any increase in stroke risk, compared with an evening blood pressure reading under 135 mm Hg.

If you try to read these fundamental medical reports, you will get lost in the terms and the high-faluting science.  As far as I can determine, simplifying the gobbledegook, your blood pressure should be at a maximum when you wake up because:
  • there is the shock of awaking
  • you need to go to the bathroom
  • you are very hungry, for your last meal was, maybe, 12 hours ago
  • if you are on medication, you have not taken them for some time
  • your pulse rate is at a minimum:
    • my rate is around 52/minute when I awake
    • I know that, for me, there is an inverse relationship between blood pressure and pulse rate
      • the higher the pulse rate, the lower my pressure
      • the lower the pulse rate, the higher my pressure
For a long time, when I first awoke, my blood pressure ranged between 155-170 / 85-95.  Why not take one of my blood pressure pills when I wake up around 2AM to take a pee?  2.5 mg of Amlodipine besylate dropped my wake-up pressure to 140-150 / 75-85.  Fabulous!  Problem one  mostly solved.  This solution only came this month.

I had a second BP problem, and this is the one that was confounding.  For the longest time, when walking on a golf course, I got weak during the first few holes, then dizzy when I picked up my ball on the 6th hole.  What I was doing was getting a huge bento from Rainbow Drive-In or Zippy's, had a filling lunch at Diamond Lookout, and then soon thereafter went golfing.  Food in your belly significantly drops my blood pressure when my pulse rate approaches 100/minute.

Advice #3 purchase a blood pressure device, and carefully check your status at different times of day and physical conditions.  My typical pressures and pulse rates soon after the meal were:
  • before golfing:  140/85, 70
  • second hole:  120/70, 85
  • fourth hole:  100/60, 100
  • sixth hole:  as low as 80/50, 105
  • tenth hole:  110/65, 95
  • fifteenth  hole:  115/70, 95
  • eighteenth hole:  125/75, 90
  • after a hot bath at home:  110/65, 80
If there was a crowd ahead of my group, which allowed me to slow my walk, my pulse rate only rose to 90, and my blood pressure did not drop so low.  I tried li hing mui, ume and other high sodium shocks, but they did not seem to do much.  My theory was that if I quickly ingested salt, my blood pressure would go up.  There is, too, of course, an inverse relationship between my blood pressure and pulse rate.  The faster I walked, the higher went my pulse rate, resulting in lower blood pressures.

My doctor said try compression socks.  I thought that was too much of a humbug and physical discomfort, so I came up with my own solution, which was to have a big breakfast at home, and golf at least an hour and a half after eating.  This largely cured the problem:
  • before golfing:  135/80,70
  • second hole:  120/70, 85
  • fourth hole:  110/65, 95
  • sixth hole:  100/65, 105
  • tenth hole:  110/65, 95
  • fifteenth  hole:  115/70, 90
  • eighteenth hole:  125/80, 85
  • after a hot bath at home:  110/65, 80
My blood pressure still reached a low around the sixth hole, but 100/65 is manageable.  I don't get dizzy.  In subsequent holes, my body tended to naturally adjust, bringing my pressures up to normality by the end of the round.

Keep in mind that when I finish golfing, all I have had is an apple, plus, perhaps, a small piece of candy or some chips, so I'm very hungry, meaning that my pressure would normally rise.  I don't get this surge after golf.  In fact, after I get home, when I take a hot bath with an alcoholic drink, I'm still very hungry, but my blood pressure drops to 110/65.  In any case, my high/low blood pressure dilemma now seems under control, and the weight stabilization with the strenuous exercise allows me to eat and drink whatever I want.  

Finally, how's this for a future option?  Marijuana lowers your blood pressure.  Medical marijuana is now legal in Hawaii.  I understand, though, that mere high blood pressure does not qualify you for this soon to be available product.  I might go see my personal doctor to get his professional opinion.


-
Hurricane Fernanda has weakened into a tropical storm, is moving further north, and now should not begin impacting Hawaii with some rain until Monday:



Right behind are two more disturbances, with Tropical Storm Gregg predicted to attain hurricane status, and also head for Hawaii:




-

No comments: