Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

CHAPTER 19: Pearl's Ashes--San Francisco

San Francisco was one of our favorite cities.  Certainly, too cold, but with endearing charms.  I'm trying to think, what Pearl enjoyed here, and Fisherman's Wharf comes to mind, but, she, too, was allergic to shellfish.  There was nothing special about the downtown.  I recall our final trip there.  We stayed at what was the brand new Hotel Vitale and walked to a San Francisco Giants' baseball game at AT&T Park.  But she was not much of a sports fan.  So I had difficulty selecting that special site to drop her ashes.

Thus, in May of 2012 when I spent a day just walking around the city I had no idea where I would drop her ashes.  I started my usual lunch at Tadich Grill and had a grilled salmon with camembert and blue cheeses and a salad.
I then took a walk and noticed Coit Tower.  I have seen this structure for more than half a century, but never went to the top.

Lillian Coit donated $118,000 to build the tower, and probably because she was also the matron saint of the San Francisco firefighters, the design resembled a fire hose nozzle.

The walk up was the equivalent of getting to the top of Diamond Head.  Running out of ideas and enjoying the view, I thought this yellow flower was a reasonable location for Pearl's Ashes #35.  

After 500 steps uphill and a $7 elevator ride I made it to the top.  The sights were spectacular.


This particular visit to the city by the bay had two other events worthy of mention.  First, I participated in the inaugural Seasteading Institute gathering.  Here is my 20-minute presentation on the Pacific International Ocean Station.  

This organization, well explained in a book by Joe Quirk, is an outlier, created to develop homesteading in the ocean, not particularly residences, but, more, businesses to take advantage of independence from national laws and restrictions.  They were the perfect fit for Blue Revolution Hawaii because they say profit today, and we are approaching this next frontier, the sea around us, by strengthening the research and development base.  We came to an early conclusion that governments and companies were not conformed to provide $1.5 billion, so we sought to interest a billionaire or two with vision for a different kind of legacy.  

The big difference is that the Seasteading Institute found PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel, and recently led a rather successful workshop in Tahiti to carry on their mission.  They are beginning to partner with individuals and entities. some of familiarity with me.  I can only wish them well.

My second adventure was dinner at Benu, a Michelin 2-Star restaurant.  Mind you, that was five years ago when the city of San Francisco had no 3-Stars.  Today, the Bay Area has six of them, of course including Benu, the highest in the nation with New York City.  Note that Chicago only has two and there is none for D.C. There as yet is no female chef of a 3-Star dining palace, but Dominique Crenn of Atelier Crenn on Filmore in SFO, could well become the first.  I chatted with Benu Chef Corey Lee, and he actually remembered me from my previous visit.

Next:  back to Bangkok.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average broke another all-time record, jumping 98 to 21,711.  Boeing surged 9%, just for today.  The S&P 500 also posted a record at 2,478, and so did the Nasdaq Composite, up to 6,423.  All this while the White House and Republicans are spiraling to ....you add your disrespect.

-
There remain six ocean storms.  Hurricane Hilary is now at a fearsome 125 MPH, but will weaken before threatening Hawaii:


Typhoon Noru continues to meander about and is still heading for Iwo Jima:


Tropical Storm Nesat has popped up east of the Philippines, will become a typhoon, and strike Taiwan on Sunday:


-

1 comment:

Blogger said...

eToro is the ultimate forex trading platform for new and pro traders.