Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 28, 2017

MY HEAVEN: Part 2

You need to scroll down to my Friday posting or click on THIS to access Part 1 of Heaven.  Of course, by personalizing this imaginary locus with "my," I harken back to those days when I purchased $1 Italian Silk ties in Itaewon, knowing that they were made of rayon or some polyester.  I haven't won a tie for at least a decade, but, out of curiosity I looked in my closet and still found, maybe, 50 of them.

Thus, whether Purgatory or Heaven, this is a state of mind, so let me continue my life of actual fantasy, starting with the end point of Part 1, my Japanese Wagyu Beef and O-Toro Blue Fin Tuna Sashimi dinner on my lanai last night, with cold beer and hot sake:


I won't be so gauche as to mention what these items cost, but will indicate that this was like a meal served in Heaven.  I will show, though, those orchids that first greeted me when I returned from my 44-day Global Adventure three weeks ago, now, finally, in full bloom.  Sorry, I can't send the heavenly fragrance.


So the next morning I walked to the bus stop to have lunch in Waikiki and noticed this sign:


The significance of this religious public service is that there could well be dogs in Purgatory and Heaven, for this notice was the work of gratefulminsitries.hi.org.  I might alert you, however, that I think there is a major misspelling in that address.

My driver on The Bus 13 was so nice to everyone that I had to take Lei's photo:


No question she will get to Heaven.  We need more people like Lei in this world.  Start a fund to send her to DC to help Donald Trump.

I  hopped off at recently re-modeled International Marketplace.  The firms responsible, JPRA Architects and 505 Design, should be de-certified.  Neither is from Hawaii, and it shows.  There is no local character left.  Further, I walked around in the rain once and got wet no matter where I went.  

Anyway, on the third floor is three-month old Yauatcha, between Roy Yamaguchi's Eating House and Michael Mina's Stripsteak:


Yauatcha is a modern-day Cantonese restaurant specializing in dim sums.  The creator, Alan Yau (Yau plus matcha minus the m), founded the restaurant in London 13 years ago.  He also is known for Hakkasan (in ten countries).  Many of these have one Michelin star.  There are three more Yauatchas in India.

The local eatery is well-designed and staffed:


Goldfish symbolize a long life.  Desserts and the kitchen:


I ordered a rose' wine and Maui lager to complement the hot sour soup, Shanghai Soup Dumplings and Crispy Duck Roll:



Jake excelled as my interface:


Restroom facilities were also excellent:


I decided to walk back home and passed by Marukame Udon and Subway.  Note that there is no one in the latter and a giant line outside of the Japanese noodle place:


The next worthy photo was at the Hawaii Maritime Center, which has been closed for eight years:


Those are the 4-masted Waikiola and Falls of Clyde, now 140 years old.  I can't find any information on the Waikiola, which is not in the list of 25 ships of this category.  Anyone reading this with any more information, please let me know.

In the adjacent waters was what looked like a different specie of the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa, the Hawaii state fish, yellow tangs and others (Plus if you look real closely at the bottom photo, is that a genuine humuhumunukunukuapuaa?):


Right next, I then did something I've never done before.  I went to the observation deck of Aloha Tower:


That's the Hawaii State flower, a yellow hibiscus with red middle.  There is an elevator that takes you to the 10th floor viewing area.  And it's free.

From the top I could see The World, a luxury condo ship I once considered as a future home:


Not seriously, mind you, for you need to have a net worth of at least $10 million to qualify.  There are 165 cabins, running from $2 million to $15 million.  The residents, from 19 countries, vote to determine their itinerary.  Over this year the ship will travel 44,000 nautical miles and stop in 100 ports.

The $1 billion+ Utopia (right), being built by Samsung, will be ready for launch this year.  Cost?  $3.9 million to $30 million.

From Aloha Tower, the Pride of America was also in port:

Today in My Heaven, I might go to a movie or two, and tomorrow, perhaps I'll catch The Bus around the East side of Oahu.  I wonder what will be featured on our Monday Night Table for Memorial Day.

-

No comments: