Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

HIGH TECH METHODS TO TRIM YOUR FINGER AND TOE NAILS

This blog site is eclectic, if nothing else, but hopefully also eminently useful.  I have high concern about the health of my finger and toe nails because five years ago I had to go to the Queen's Hospital Emergency Room with a serious thumb problem.  I urge you not to click on that link because the thumb photo is scarily awful.

Carefully check the internet on how best to cut your finger and toe nails.  You will get the same answer again and again, where nail clippers, nail file and the usual suspects are indicated as the tools of trade.

Search closer, and you will eventually stumble across a few high tech methods, such as:
  • A simple Dremel for $35 from Walmart.  These are my current options with the Dremel to the right:

So what is my recommendation?  First, let me share with you my thinking, for I hate to cut finger and toe nails, especially the latter.  I've tried everything, and nothing works well:
  • Part of my problem is that I was spoiled.  My wife almost enjoyed cutting my finger and toe nails.  I allowed her to do this because she wanted to, and I had no idea how great a pain this was.  In supreme thanks, I show her photo with eight orchids.
  • I've tried manicurists/pedicurists, but they cost a total of $30 or more with tip/tax, and some of them insist on cutting the cuticles, which can get infected.  When they don't do this they still charge you the same amount.
  • At 15 Craigside, a doctor comes regularly to cut your toenails for free.  I haven't tried this option for two reasons:
    • It seems such an insult to ask a doctor to take care of this bit of personal maintenance.
    • I heard she/he is not so good at it.
During my week of golfing in Napa earlier this month, a colleague from Florida, David Block, indicated to me that the best way to cut finger/toe nails was the use of a Dremel.  So we went to Walmart in Vacaville, and I paid something like $35.  It is important that you get the right accessory burr.  See that brown attachment?

Two more things.  Keep everything sanitary.  Not sure exactly what you do to the brownish thing to keep it germ-free, but, frankly, I do nothing  The other thing is a mixed signal.  Some sources say keep your nails dry, others hint that soaking them in water is recommended.  I did mine after taking a long bath.  Worked fine.

I was worried that the whirring tool would scrape off my skin, but, amazingly enough, at the low of two speeds, there seemed to be no safety problem.  I wore glasses just in case, and there is some sense that the resultant airborne particles could affect your lungs, but I did my duty on my lanai over a paper towel, and as nothing seemed to visibly accumulate on the paper, I guess it might not be a bad idea to have a small fan blow the particulates away from you.  Yes, you'll be adding an air pollutant, but I suspect once a month of keratin from me will not contribute much to global warming.  In fact, volcanic emissions have been confirmed to reduce global warming, so I might inadvertently be lowering the global atmospheric temperature.

Frankly, I'm very happy with the results.  It took a bit longer, but compared to the agony of nail clippers, this was almost fun.

If money is no problem, I would think that the $90 pedicure machine might be even better.  However, in the process of writing this article I found an even more attractive alternative: order from Amazon this $37.50 Nail Care Plus with diamond filing attachments.  I bought it, with free shipping, and will compare this new device with my current Dremel in about a month when my nails grow back.

-

No comments: