Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 15, 2015

GAWA Day #60: Las Vegas

Last night I had dinner with the rest of my family at Ohjah on Flamingo:

The highlight was the seafood boat:

Here is Sharon:

And Dan, my brother:

They are the parents of Eric, with whom I stayed a few days ago.  KC (not sure if this is the correct spelling) and #3 son Wendell:

Maybe I shouldn't be sharing these family secrets, but they have together lost 50 pounds, and hope to lose another 150 pounds.  They should have been on that TV program.  Perhaps their seeing this posting will spur them to reach their goal and stay there, for Wendell said he has already lost 500 pounds, but, somehow, keeps gaining them back.  Certainly, they offer another roots pathway into the future for the Takahashis.  #2 son Aaron, who works for Wynn Hotels, was under the weather.

Dan and I today went to the Westgate Resort (formerly Las Vegas Hilton) to watch a few NFL games:

On the way home we stopped by Aloha Specialties on the mezzanine of the California Hotel, where he had a large saimin with kim chee and I ate a loco moco.  The biggest surprise is that I did not see anyone I knew during our meal.

On the way home we stopped by Sprouts to purchase ingredients for tsukemono.  In the old days, our mother made these Japanese pickles by placing vegetables in a large container, adding salt, water, ginger and old bread, then placing a large rock on to a cover to apply pressure to the mixture.  It sometimes smelled and the bread was a mess.  So I showed my brother a more high tech way to make tsukemono.
Start with tupperware or the equivalent.  To a quart-sized (or larger, but adjust ingredients accordingly) container, add about two to three tablespoons of salt, a small amount of hot peppers (we used what looked like a Trinidad Scorpion as shown above, something I've never seen--about half in each container--so we'll see how this turns out), a teaspoon full of chopped ginger, three tablespoons of sake (Japanese wine--this replaces the bread--so that the mixture can ferment) and half a teaspoon of sugar.  No vinegar.  Pour in water to less than halfway and try to dissolve as much of the salt as you can.  Then place chinese, mustard and/or standard cabbage, sliced into small chunks, plus cucumbers, pieces of daikon (that white Japanese radish) and other vegetables as you wish.  Add a little more water to almost fill the container.  Vacuum seal the top and shake a bit.  Leave in the kitchen for 24 hours.  Shake a couple of times.  

The product is ready to eat the next day.  Carefully wash out the liquid, as it is very salty.  In any case, place the container back in your refrigerator and use as needed  This tsukemono batch can last for a month at this cold temperature.  If at the one or two week mark when half the mixture has been used, just place into the same container liquid a new vegetable assortment.  Finish eating the first batch first, but this second crop should be good for at least another two weeks.  Starting from scratch the next time you do this, add lesser or greater amounts of condiments suited to your taste, and even experiment with shiso (also called perilla--the red version gives ume the red color, where another liquor is used, shochu--but that's for another day) and other ingredients.


No comments: