Yes, we have confirmed the Higgs Boson and Apple soon hopes to sell its billionth iPhone. Four and a half million people catch a plane every day and scientists have found the genetic switch in lab mice to reverse the aging process. A matter of time before we will be able to stop growing old.
2001 was released in 1968, and nearly half a century later there are only a few half-baked ideas about visiting Mars, you get the idea that monumental changes in our lifestyle influenced by revolutionary ideas requiring cost-effective technology are something else again.
- restored the seafood balanced with next generation fisheries, and provided hatcheries for whales and other declining species,
- remediated global warming through artificial upwelling and absorption of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere
- checked global sea level rise and ocean acidification
- while allowing for certain storms to bring rains to terrestrial areas, generally prevented the formation of hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons
- found a substitute for beef steaks: whale shark meat, where the fish is raised in carbon neutral fashion
- developed genetic grain strains which can be grown in sea water, where the deep ocean water effluent provides the natural fertilizer (of course, there is no drought on the open ocean)
- doubled the production of grape/wine production by having two crops/year where growth conditions are controlled by adjusting root temperatures
- habitats with controlled climate conditions, for the cool from the deep ocean water is used for air conditioning
- marine biomass plantations are producing feedstock for the production of biofuels for exportation
- similarly, hydrogen through electrolysis is another biofuel for the coming hydrogen economy
- people still think that the whale shark is a whale, which it is not
- there are now more than 400 members of the United Nations, nearly half at sea
- the lack of hurricanes has affected farming and water availability here and there
Oh, by the way, I'm back in the USA as I send this posting.