In 1872 Train ran fot president of the USA. He went on to organize a clipper ship line and formed the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1990 Train began and ended his third around the world journey in 67 days from Tacoma, Washington. He was accompanied by his cousin, George Pickering Bemis, who went on to become mayor of Omaha, Nebraska.
- James Willis Sayre of Seattle in 1903 used only public transportation to accomplish this task in a bit more than 54 days.
- A few weeks before the stock market crash of 1929 the first Graf Zeppelin, 776 feet long (Boeing 747 is 250 feet in length) and hydrogen powered, took 21 days, 12 hours and 13 minutes (including stop times) beginning from Lakehurst Naval Air Station (where the Hindenburg crashed and burned in 1937) in New Jersey, returning on August 29, backed by William Randolph Hearst, where Hearst correspondent Lady Grace Drummond-Hay became the first woman to circumnavigate the globe by air.
- Michael Palin of Monty Python in 1989 mimicked Vernes' book, beginning at the same Reform Club in London, getting to Victoria Station to board the Orient Express, using only technology available in 1873, for a television travelogue series. It was not easy, running into an Italian railway strike (I've been caught in two of them), diarrhea and assorted other tribulations, In Bombay he was a week behind Phileas Fogg, worsening to eleven days in Madras. His traveling movie crew of five was collectively named Passepartout. He did complete the journey in 79 days and 7 hours.
- In 1999 Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones made the first non-stop balloon (right) trip in 19 days, 1 hour and 49 minutes, covering 26,600 miles. Unfortunately, Piccard and his co-pilot, Andres Borschberg, on the Solar Impulse 2, which in March of this year left Abu Dhabi, is now stuck in Hawaii until April, and will not be breaking any speed records.
- Four years ago a Boeing Dreamliner flew around the world through Dhaka, Pakistan (where it remained for 2 hours for refueling) in 42 hours and 27 minutes. But the total flight only went around 20,000 miles--the diameter of Earth is 24,901 miles.
- A little more than three years ago, a trimaran, the Banque Populaire V (right above), took 45 days 43 minutes to earn the Jules Verne Trophy for sailing around the world, but the distance was only 24,857 miles.
- Last year Muamer Yilmaz and Milan Bihlmann completed the challenge with no money as a charity campaign for education in Haiti, finishing in 79 days.
- 1954: Robert Morley, Noel Coward, John Gielgud, Trevor Howard, Charles Boyer, Evelyn Keyes, Jose Greco, Gilbert Roland, Cesar Romero, Alan Mowbray, Cedric Hardwicke, Ronald Coleman, Charles Coburn, Peter Lorre, George Raft, Red Skelton, Marlene Dietrich, John Carradine, Frank Sinatry, Buster Keaton, Joe E. Brown, Andy Devine, Victor McLaglen, Glynis Johns, Hermione Gingold, Edward R. Murrow, etc.
- 2004: Arnold Schwarzenegger (just before he became governor of California), Kathy Bates, Owen and Luke Wilson, Rob Schneider, John Cleese, Richard Branson, Will Forte, etc.
- 1989: Roddy McDdowell, Darren McGavin, Robert Morley, Lee Rremich, Jill St. John, Robert Wagner, Henry Gibson, Christopher Lee, Patrick Macnee, John Mills, Pernell Roberts, James Sikking, John Carlin, etc.
CRUISE CRITIC for details.
Crystal has no around the world itinerary, and would be too expensive anyway. Cunard has three 120-night versions on the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2, starting from Southhampton, beginning at $20,000, all beginning the first week of January 2017. Princess has two global cruises which start at $20,000, starting from Fort Lauderdale on January 3 and 20 of 2017, and stopping in Honolulu. If I had a lot of money, the Regent Seven Seas leaves Miami on January 5, stops through Honolulu, but begins at $55,000.
Holland America has the most convenient, beginning on 4 January 2017, taking 111 days from Fort Lauderdale, and has an inside cabin for $17,000/person. An unobstructed ocean view starts at $25,000, which probably would be the desirable price. However, you need two people. So I'm now officially looking for an appropriate female who will pay her own way and share our room. This ship stops through Hawaii, so it might be desirable to just board here, for an almost around the world cruise of 98 days. More to come.