Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 23, 2012

HAWAII FIVE-0 ON WAIKIKI BEACH

On deciding what to do today as I create my blog for the day I gaze to my right:


I see a rainbow over Pearl Harbor.  Then to my left:


There is Punchbowl, which is home to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.  You can only barely see a smudge, but about 15% from the left is the Diamond Head lookout, where you can get a spectacular view of Honolulu.  Here is a photo I took the first time I made that trek up, which was last year:

My apartment is just to the right on the horizon.  By the way, that beach, which you can hardly see, is Waikiki, hardly comparable to China Beach in Vietnam, which is 100 yards wide and stretches the equivalent of from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor and back.  Or something like that.  Of larger insult, most of the sand for a time came from Manhattan Beach, California, until local engineers found some sand just outside the beach itself and dredged it back to land.  Waikiki just finished a restoration.

However, all this relative beauty inspired me to continue my fantasy life.  I thought why not visit Waikiki Beach, for tonight there is a Hawaii Five-0 premiere on the beach.  For those who don't watch television, this is a CBS series on Monday nights.  In addition to all the stars, they will show what the nation will see tomorrow night.  Surely, you remember the original, which began 44 years ago.

Hear Darling Allison singing Waikiki, or a steel guitar version of the song by Andy Cummings, who composed the music in 1938 while visiting Lansing, Michigan on a cold and foggy night.    Then a hula at the Banyan Court of the Moana Hotel.  There is, too, "On the Beach at Waikiki":  an early 1915 version, with some vintage photos,  and even Lawrence Welk (1959).


This is from where Hawaii Calls emanated in the 1935 to 1975 period.  The host was Webley Edwards, who I somewhat got to know because in his final years he lived at the Maunalani Hospital, where Pearl worked for a while.

So I made a reservation to stay at this oldest hotel on the beach, now a Westin Surfrider, which is the first complex of buildings in the large photo above.  What a bargain, as I don't need to fly to Hawaii, for I'm already here.  Also above are the front of the hotel and the same Banyan Court today.  Then from the beach beyond those surfboards and below the view from my room:

I then walked over to the Hawaii Five-O premiere.  Turns out I'm not much of a paparazzi, for I only had the patience for a couple of photos and took the remainder from the TV in my room.  The crowd was large:


You can  barely see the screen to the right.  Grace Park and  Scott Caan were not there:


Alex O'Loughlin, Daniel Dae Kim and Taylor Wily:


Well, if you know anything about Hawaii Five-0, Steve McGarrett's mother, Doris, was supposed to be dead.  The initial program for Year Three on Monday night will be all about her.  She is played by Christine Lahti:


But the night is not over, yet.  Here is the sunset from the Moana:


I followed with dinner at the Beachhouse, mainly because I get 25% off.  First, the largest Caesar salad I've ever seen, enough for a table of four:


I actually ate the whole thing, and regretted ordering a one pound wagyu beef with Kahuku corn:


The meal was fabulous,  In Tokyo, this beef, in Mitsukoshi, a department store, can cost $300/pound:


While U.S. prime beef has around 7% marbled fat, in Japan, wagyu must be AT LEAST 25%.  The best part is that this fat is "good" for you, for the beef in this country is primarily monounsaturated.  That photo above is the best, from Matsuzaka, where the cow (only the female) is fed a secret diet, fed beer, rubbed with sake and listen to classical music.  This holy cow can cost almost $400,000.  However, a 593 pound blue fin tuna was sold this year at Tsukiji (fishmarket in Tokyo) for $1238/pound, or $736,000:


-
Tropical Storm Miriam will ultimately become a Category 2 hurricane, weaken, and sway for Baha California in a week.   In the East Atlantic, Tropical Storm Nadine will move west and also become a hurricane, but will never get to the USA. In the West Pacific, though, is Super Typhoon Jelawatt, now at 150 MPH, but will further strengthen into a Category 5, and, as predicted the other day, if all goes well, should squeeze between Taiwan and Okinawa and head for Shanghai.  But most of these storms tend to veer north and lean towards South Korea. Too early to tell for sure.


-

No comments: