So what form of doom have these seers predicted?
1. There is a galactic alignment every 26 million years when mass extinctions occur. This has something to do with the Oort cloud, Sagittarius A, Jupiter and a bunch of other synchronicities that might happen on 21December2012. Don't lose any sleep over this one.
3. We are at the point of geomagnetic reversal, possibly to be triggered by #2. Anyway, if this happens this year, it takes from a thousand to ten thousand years to complete, and no deaths are forecast.
4. Planet X will collide with us. There is a connection to alien life, with a high giggle factor.
2012, the 2009 movie (63% audience rating in Rotten Tomatoes), with John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Woody Harrelson, etc. There were various references to solar flares and the Mayans. Toss in a mega earthquake along the San Andreas Fault, eruption of the Yellowstone caldera and the Ark (yes, to save a selected few) and you have a film I'll have to see. Maybe Netflix has it. It made almost a billion dollars.
6. Heard of the Photon Belt? Not worth mentioning.
7. The red supergiant Betelgeuse will go bang and become a supernova. However, it is 600 light years away, and will take at least that long to reach us. Yet, suppose this already happened almost 600 years ago? Not to worry, as astrophysicists have calculated that this star, which could, actually explode at any time, will only cause us problems if it were 25 million light years away, or closer.
The spaceships were detected by HAARP search system. The system, based in Alaska, was designed to study the phenomenon of northern lights. According to SETI researchers, the objects are nothing but extraterrestrial spaceships. They will be visible in optical telescopes as soon as they reach Mars's orbit. The US government has been reportedly informed about the event. The ships will reach Earth in December 2012.
Again, be reassured, for Seth Shostak (left), chief astronomer of SETI, has debunked these claims.
I treat Doomsday 2012 as a joke, but 10% of global citizens fear the possibility of the world ending on 21December2012:
Twenty two percent of Americans believe that the end of the world will occur in their lifetime! Well, a similar percentage doesn't believe in God, so maybe there is a correlation here, although the logic is contradictory.
Jay Leno joked about late night shopping channels and purchasing a 2013 Mayan calendar, calling himself a moron. The best truth is that the current Mayan calendar ends on 21December2012, and 22December2012 merely begins another cycle. So the next one should be good for, maybe, 5000 years. He thus got a bargain.