Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

MORE ON GLOBAL WARMING

My less than positive blog yesterday on climate change resulted in a number of comments by e-mail.   For some reason, people don't like to comment on my blog, but do to my Huffington Post articles.  In keeping with past practice, I will not identify these individuals, but I encourage them to comment below.  The overwhelming response was that I was being much too negative, but, worse, that I should maintain my  vision of hope and not cave in to those doomsday moaners.

As sent to me, one of the better compilations I have seen can be found in Climate Progress.  They have ten reasons why you should be worried:

1.  Global warming has resulted in a 40% decline in the ocean photoplankton.  My common sense would tend to think that warming should increase microbial growth in our seas, but maybe acidification is a more dangerous factor than earlier speculated.

2.  The permafrost is melting and a greater amount of methane (which is 72 times more potent than carbon dioxide over a twenty year period) is being released into the atmosphere.  This is terrible, but I'm actually almost cheering this alarm because of the novel I am beginning to write with a co-author on The Venus Syndrome.

3.  More devastating droughts.

4.  Our oceans are acidifying ten times faster than 55 million years ago when there was a mass extinction of marine species.

5.  The oceans are rising three times faster than earlier predicted.

6.  Specie extinction is occurring at a record rate.

7.  Because of drought, net terrestrial plant growth could become negative.

8.  Our soils are emitting more and more carbon dioxide.

9.  Future temperature increases could cause our extinction.

10.  A catastrophic temperature increase of from 13-18 degrees F could occur over the the USA within 50 years, with the Arctic warming by 27 F in this period.

The above information was supposed to convince me that these early signs are so potentially calamitous that people will more and more believe that climate warming is real, dangerous to their health and worthy of their concern to affect decision-making.  Perhaps.

There were several more contributions, but another one from the same person indicated that governments might not tackle this issue with any effectiveness, but companies are already reacting.  My response was:

About that Zachary Karabell blog and business showing the way, I would like to believe him, but I can't.  He appears to be saying that companies are getting green for the sake of Mother Nature.  Those companies are doing so for marketing purposes.  In fact, every oil company also does the same if they have a product to sell.  However, when there is a threat to profits, many firms and industries balance their strategy.  All those global warming disinformation organizations (like the Heartland Institute) are being funded by the fossil industry.  Major American companies unfortunately are driven by quarterly numbers because of our free enterprise system.

The whole point to most of this interchange is, should we just give up and await the doom,  or do we do whatever we can to ameliorate or prevent this dismal future.  Clearly, giving up is not an option.  For this reason, let me take a somewhat more non-negative stance and try to regain my earlier optimism.  So let me go back to my earlier warning:  YOU, READING THIS.  IF THE ABOVE TEN REASONS HAVE SUFFICIENTLY FRIGHTENED YOU, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

-
I wish I knew what is happening, some say the retail sector shows good signs, but the Dow Jones Industrials shot up another three digits today, plus 109 to 11,365.  All world markets also increased, especially in Europe, having something to do with the stronger Euro, but, nevertheless remaining metastable because of Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy (watch for something to happen on December 14 when Silvio Berlusconi most probably will get the boot).  The Japan Nikkei hit a five month high.  Gold fell $6/toz to $1385 (which means investors are taking money out of gold to probably put back into other investments) and petroleum is at $88/barrel.

-

No comments: