Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 23, 2010

3D TELEVISION IS FANTASTIC


I try to keep up with the latest electronics, as much as I'm being left behind on the latest.  I can't even figure out how some of my watches work, and I'm embarrassed at how ignorant I am with my iPhone and iPad.  Once upon a time I taught computer programming and graphics.  Today, I shy away from downloading because I somehow screw it up too regularly.  Texting?  Maybe someday.

I heard that the NCAA BCS championship football game and SONY Open were to be televised in 3D, so against my basic instincts, I splurged on the 46" (limited by the cubicle size of my wall system) SONY Bravia LCD digital color TV with 3D capability.  This set came with what is called a

bundle:  two 3D glasses, Playstation 3 with Grand Turismo 5 ( a driving video game) and the 3D version of Alice in Wonderland.  Playstation 3 indeed does everything:  it is a blue ray DVD player, link to the internet, 320 GB storage and more...in wireless.  The installer said that Grand Turismo 5 is unbelievable in 3D.  I don't do games, so someday will get into this.

I watched Alice in Wonderland, and the 3D effects are surprisingly good, much better than IMAX 3D when I saw that film.  My reluctance to get a 3D TV was that the 3D in all those films I have seen have not been that terrific.  However, TV 3D is much, much more 3D.  I found myself moving my head to avoid the stuff coming out of the screen.

The good and bad.  First, the cable box for HD apparently is wired for 3D.  That's good.  However, I'm not sure if Oceanic will actually show scheduled 3D events.  Showtime does have 3D movies, and there is a 3D channel, but Direct TV today is your best bet for 3D.  Unfortunately, my apartment features free cable using Oceanic, so I will need to wait until they decide to go that route.

HOWEVER, THE FANTASTIC PART ABOUT A 3D TV IS THAT ANY PROGRAM CAN BE WATCHED IN 3D.  YOU CLICK ON 3D, PUT ON YOUR GOGGLES, PRESS THE 3D BUTTON, AND MANY "NORMAL" PROGRAMS ARE SHOWN IN 3D.  I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW THEY DO THIS.  

I watched the Boise State-Utah football game yesterday, and was amazed that the players looked like they were standing on a field.  Nothing comes out of the screen, but the picture has a 3D effect.

THUS, WHEN THE REAL 3D IS SOMEDAY SHOWN, I WOULD EXPECT THAT THE EFFECT SHOULD BE SIMILAR TO WHAT I GOT FROM ALICE IN WONDERLAND.  Golf balls should be flying out of the screen.

-
The Dow Jones Industrials edged up 14 to 11,573, with world markets mostly down.  Gold dropped $7/toz to $1380 and petroleum is just under $92/barrel.

-
Nice sunset today:



-

2 comments:

Lauren jonczak said...

Great post. I usually don't like watching movies in 3D but when I saw Alice in Wonderland I fell in love. I was thinking about getting my boyfriend a 3d television for Christmas this year. I am sure he will like it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jerry Gene said...

Your post really cool and interesting. Thanks very much.

Sony - VAIO Duo Ultrabook 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Carbon Black

Sony - VAIO Fit 14" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Black (SVF1421ACXB)