I woke up at the Westin Sendai to beautiful clouds:
Breakfast here is pretty standard for Japan, and terrific:
Note that rice noodle dish to the right. That red stuff I poured on was called DEATH. Never saw it before. I almost died. You are hereby warned!
I caught the bullet train from Sendai to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto. Instead of the usual bento with beer/sake, I decided to consume what my previous two hotels have been leaving in my room. Macha and pomegranate/elderflower drink with assorted dried fruits and nuts. A few friends in 15 Craigside would have proud of my choice.
I caught the bullet train from Sendai to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto. Instead of the usual bento with beer/sake, I decided to consume what my previous two hotels have been leaving in my room. Macha and pomegranate/elderflower drink with assorted dried fruits and nuts. A few friends in 15 Craigside would have proud of my choice.
After I had this healthy lunch, I had some leftover ice cubes and bottles of Yamasaki whiskey and sparkling water.
The Shinkansen arrived in Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto, so I had to transfer to another train to get me to Hakodate. Upon leaving the station, there was the Four Points Sheraton:
While the building is also 23 years old, like the Tokyo Westin, the place was upgraded and converted into a Four Points Sheraton six months ago. However, the TV system shows CNN in Japanese, and there is no bilingual option. I decided to take the bus to the top of Mount Hakodate, and had this view:
It was around dinnertime, so I had probably the best eating experience I'll ever have on this trip. One day I'll explain why:
Salmon eggs (ikura), yellow-fin tuna (maguro) sashimi and salmon over rice, with an excellent miso soup, plus Sapporo draft and Yoichi Single-Malt Whiskey over rocks. This brew by Nikka is distilled in Yoichi, 30 miles from Sapporo. Just before I caught the bus down, sunset:
A fitting end to what could have been a disastrous day, but turned out to be exceptional. Tomorrow, I'm off for Sapporo.
Checked the NCAA scores, and all my teams won: Hawaii, LSU and Stanford football, plus the Rainbow Wahine volleyball team came through in five in an away game. Yes, a fabulous day.
The Shinkansen arrived in Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto, so I had to transfer to another train to get me to Hakodate. Upon leaving the station, there was the Four Points Sheraton:
While the building is also 23 years old, like the Tokyo Westin, the place was upgraded and converted into a Four Points Sheraton six months ago. However, the TV system shows CNN in Japanese, and there is no bilingual option. I decided to take the bus to the top of Mount Hakodate, and had this view:
It was around dinnertime, so I had probably the best eating experience I'll ever have on this trip. One day I'll explain why:
Salmon eggs (ikura), yellow-fin tuna (maguro) sashimi and salmon over rice, with an excellent miso soup, plus Sapporo draft and Yoichi Single-Malt Whiskey over rocks. This brew by Nikka is distilled in Yoichi, 30 miles from Sapporo. Just before I caught the bus down, sunset:
A fitting end to what could have been a disastrous day, but turned out to be exceptional. Tomorrow, I'm off for Sapporo.
Checked the NCAA scores, and all my teams won: Hawaii, LSU and Stanford football, plus the Rainbow Wahine volleyball team came through in five in an away game. Yes, a fabulous day.














No comments:
Post a Comment