Total Pageviews

Friday, July 3, 2015

HOW TO CONVERT YOUR OLD SLIDES INTO DIGITAL PRINTS

Before delving into the topic of the day, I have some GOOD NEWS!!!  As predicted, Solar Impulse 2 landed at Kalaeloa Airport in Honolulu at around 6AM this morning:


When you watch the landing you wonder how the plane can keep its balance, for there are only two wheels.  While pilot Andre Borschberg (right) deserves hero status, this was a major team effort:  50 engineers/technicians, 80 technological partners, more than 100 advisors/suppliers and 90 sponsors.    Next, Bertrand Piccard (left) will take the next leg to Phoenix.  I've been invited to visit the plane Monday morning and will show more about this historic solar powered craft later that day.

15 Craigside is featuring this morning, the day before the Fourth of July, the Royal Hawaiian Band.   They then go on for a 3PM performance at Center Stage, Ala Moana Shopping Center.  The bandmaster is Clark Bright, who once worked for me at the Hawaiian Natural Energy Institute when he was a student at the University.  He has been in this role with the RHB since 2011.

Oh, by the way, there are 35 of my photos (actually, only color copies on regular paper from the copying machine) highlighting My Ultimate Global Adventure of 2013 currently showing in the entryway to our Dining Room.  They will be there until Sunday, when the show moves to the basement display area for another week.

I can further announce that 15C  is having a grand photo exposition in August.  Unfortunately, this establishment loathes the public entering these premises for security reasons.  I suggested opening up the showing to the world, and serving champagne, but, understandably, sometimes my ideas go nowhere.  Each exhibitor is allowed to invite eight contacts.   However, I'm not inviting anyone, for I can't imagine anyone I know driving all the way up Nuuanu Avenue just to view photos.

Which leads to the title of this posting.  I thought I would use old photos in my portion of 15C's first  biannual photographic exhibition.  I have tons of slides, and thought, wouldn't it be nice if I could find a device that  can digitize these slides so that they can be made into prints.  I found something called the Wolverine F2D Mighty Film to Digital Converter (right).  It only costs $125 with no shipping charge from Amazon.  The process is so simple that even I can do it.  Put the slide in, press two buttons in sequence, and the conversion is made.  Then upload to your computer, which can print the photos.  

However, if you're afraid of high technology, you don't even need a computer, for the memory is the standard camera SD/SDHC memory card, which can then be brought to Longs/CVS, say, where a kiosk at the site can be used, and the cost of an 8"x10" print is reasonable.   I think I was told something like $1.89/print.  The 10"x14"  size is five times more expensive and takes a week.  For this exhibition, 15C is making the prints on real photographic sheets, and there is no charge to me.

Here are a few typical digitized slides, the first a 1963 shot of Pearl and Pepper at the Slippery slide in 1963:



This was also our backyard when I worked at the Kilauea Sugar Company on Kauai and is the exact spot where South Pacific was filmed where Bloody Mary sang Happy Talk to her daughter and the Navy Lieutenant.


Pearl at Foster Botanical Garden around circa 1965.


Sunset, not sure when or where.


Sunset at Ala Wai Yacht Harbor in the early 70's.


Pearl in the 80's, not sure where.




Davenport, Iowa in 1982 as we were driving cross country in our Barracuda.

Thus, some of these slides are more than half a century old and they still look pretty good.

-
Oh, my goodness.  There are now six ocean storms in the Pacific.


One could well strengthen and threaten Hawaii:


The most serious one, Chan-hom, is still a tropical storm, but will soon attain hurricane strength and move into the general vicinity of the Northern Mariana Islands.


Then, Chan-hom could well reach Category 4 strength, or maybe even Super Typhoon status, and head for Okinawa, most probably, though, turning northward and passing through or close to Japan:


-

No comments: