- have every faculty member advise ten students, forming long term relationships through picnics with the group, Thanksgiving dinners, etc.
- the next athletic director should have at least one close link with a billionaire who could legally fund our programs, for we are too small and isolated to compete
- shift the purpose of the Hamilton Library third wing (which was soon to be constructed) into the first virtual library, which would only use one floor, so the others could be dedicated to town-gown centers where our research could better be developed for patents and commercial enterprises
- basically, the person in charge of counselors suggested that professors did not know enough about the curriculum, and most faculty would not want to be saddled with this major task
- an academic institution should not be bought
- oh the horror of being castigated by scholars who cherished a library, students who needed the space to study and ignominy of removing library space to start new companies
While it was not particularly surprising, the reaction of the committee was swift and condemning. This was particularly invective from the humanities side of the aisle, and from students. I was effectively blackballed from the committee and lost any respect I previously might have had. I still kick myself today for backing off and not being any more convincing, for, at the least, I could have orchestrated a presentation from Google. However, like most people on campus, I was too busy to focus on this dubious need, so the world swept by the University of Hawaii, again.
I quit the committee, but mostly because I was mostly away when they met.
Well, there are six ocean storms in the Pacific:
The eye of Typhoon Chan-hom at 130 MPH churned right between Miyakojima and Okinawa, causing damage and many injuries, with a projected landfall at Taizhou, then a right turn, weakening, and passing over Shanghai towards South Korea:
Super Typhoon Nangka at 155 MPH has a track just north of Chan-hom, and is wandering in the general direction of Japan:
While Chan-hom maintained a steady line towards China, Nangka will most probably wobble a bit, weaken, then re-strengthen into a Category 3, finally most probably head northwards, either striking Japan or cruising the eastern coastline. For some reason, computer models have been careful about predictions into the future.
Ela became the first named tropical storm of the Central Pacific, a region which does not do this alphabetically. While computer models show a track north of Hawaii through the weekend, one projection has Elle making a sudden left turn to the south between Oahu and Molokai: