- #5: Solar-powered toilet: With a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, CalTech designed a toilet which recycles the water, and with the support now of Kohler, could develop a waste recycle system for 2.5 billion people who don't have access to safe and affordable sanitation.
- #4: Sausage farm goes energy independent: Wampler Farms makes their sausage with 100% renewable energy. They use a biomass-to-energy gasification Proton Power system, a cellulose to hydrogen concept to produce electricity and synthetic fuels. That's Ted Wampler, Jr to the right.
- Solar-powered vodka distillery: Ocean Vodka Craft Distillery on the island of Maui distills organically-farmed sugar cane, uses deep ocean minerals from the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii, and flavors with Kula Lavender and local fruits (citrus, passion fruit, pineapple and strawberries). Their theme? LIFE is a journey, Toast the VOYAGE.
- The Driblet, a Pico-hydropowered water-saving device: a small wireless system that monitors and controls water use. The flowing water provides the power to operate the widget.
- The Race to Save the World: a documentary featuring four passionate renewable energy entrepreneurs, produced by Emmy award-winning filmmaker Joe Gantz. Watch this 8-minute video. Hey, I'm into this too, with my blog on SAVING PLANET EARTH AND HUMANITY.
solar-charged nanotube fuels (left), fuel cells, flywheels or supercapacitors are the answer, but, ultimately, it will not be "better" batteries. They are great for portable applications, but on a mega-scale, batteries are inherently too expensive and inefficient compared to other potential energy storage options.