Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TSUNAMI COMING TO HAWAII?

Pardon me for overreacting to major earthquakes and resultant tsunamis, for Hawaii has been hard hit by them over my lifetime.  And of all the days, April 1, where the media likes to fool people.  As some might remember, it was 1 April 1946 when an 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck the Aleutian islands, sending a giant tsunami to Hilo, killing 159 people.

An 8.2 moment magnitude earthquake off Chile's coast today gave me huge concern, for my schedule involved my helping movers pack my stuff for the move to 15 Craigside, then spend the night at the Moana Westin, on Waikiki Beach.  Hey, this quake is larger than the 1946 event that killed a lot of people in Hawaii.  From the 27th floor a few miles away from the ocean to room 495 in the Westin means that a killer tsunami might just get to me at 3:24 this morning.  But, great, the tsunami warming was essentially cancelled.  I'll still rest only uncomfortably tonight.  If I'm up, I'll peek out from 0320, for the beach is lighted.  Here is my view:


If a tsunami consumes Waikiki, this will be a first for me.  I've never seen one in person.  It was 27 February 2010 when I happened to be in Amsterdam (the Netherlands), when the Huffington Post contacted me by e-mail to please provide a first-hand account of the tsunami coming to Hawaii from the 8.8 Chile earthquake.  Well, I noticed that my television set had a CNN channel, where there were two continuous views of Waikiki Beach and Hilo Harbor.  Some of friends had to head for the hills, so I was, actually, well positioned to report.  This was the day when this blog site had the largest number of visitors (see right column) ever, for there is a link between HuffPo and my blog.

Then on 11 March 2011 I was in Bangkok, when HuffPo again asked me to post on another incoming tsunami, this from Japan's massive 9.0 earthquake, tsunami and Fukushima nuclear cataclysm.  That too kicked up pings on this blog site.  My HuffPo of 14 March 2011 provides all the first-hand information you would want to know about that disaster, for on the 12th I flew into Narita Airport and had a most adventurous three weeks in the Orient.

So, if I survive the tsunami that is not coming to Waikiki Beach tonight, I will move tomorrow to 15 Craigside, and send my next posting in 24 hours.  Wish me luck.  Oh, I might add this would be the way to go, for I am in a fabulous suite, and their Executive Club here is excellent.  However the food was minimal, so I took a glass of red wine to my room, went across the street to get a #1 Kentucky Fried Chicken meal, and watched the 8.2 earthquake reports from CNN.

Well, I woke up at 0315 and took this photo of Waikiki Beach:


Then at 0330:


I couldn't detect any change, but was amazed at the how well the photo came out, for it was mostly dark.

I went back to sleep, but at around 4PM I was awakened to what sounded like a trash can banging around, so with some trepidation, I carefully walked to the lanai…and saw nothing exceptional.  It turned out, though, that the highest wave of about a foot came around 4PM.  As I re-post this at 7AM on Wednesday, April 2, there remains a tsunami alert for Hawaii.  Some beaches are closed on all the islands and people are advised not to enter the sea, as conditions remain unpredictable  However, the surfers are out there:


-


No comments: