It was almost a year ago that I had My Ultimate Global Adventure, a 52-day journey that took me around the world, ending with a week of golfing in Napa, plus two days each of wine-tasting in Napa, Sonoma and Alexander Valleys. My Ultimate Fantasy Adventure will "only" take 44 days and will involve:
- Seoul
- Bangkok
- Japan, with a two week Green Car Shinkansen tour to
- Then a Crystal Symphony cruise back to Honolulu
- But, then, on to San Francisco for a week of golf in Napa
The trip started okay, but to my shock, left 25 minutes early. OZ (Asiana--#1 from 2009 to 2012, but that San Francisco Airport crash ended that) 231 faced strong headwinds, so the flight took exactly 11 hours from Honolulu to Seoul. I started with a Bloody Mary in the Red Carpet Club, then on the plane: champagne, chardonnay, beer, cabernet, scotch, cognac…and the flight was just at the halfway point. I had a terrific steak that was worthy of a photo:
The food and service were excellent.
But then, at this point I noticed that my iPhone was missing. My initial panic led to a ruined flight, for I kept wondering where it was. My stress level was at max. One good thing is that I totally stopped drinking alcohol, but my record was not even close to being threatened. Click on my 24-drink debauchery from Honolulu to Bangkok of 2011. Nah, that's not my phone, for it's in Honolulu and I'm in Seoul.
I did see three movies: Man in Love (Korean), Oblivion (Tom Cruise) and Grudge Match (Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro). The video/sound system in business class is terrific, with a rather large individual screen.
It gets a bit worse, as my suitcase arrived with one wheel missing. I couldn't pull, so had to drag it. Yet, the limousine bus wait was only 9 minutes.
But the best part of the day came when I checked my e-mail and learned that the taxi driver had found my iPhone, so all is well again. The hotel had provided a W Cabernet Sauvignon with a plate of cheeses and stuff, so I had my final meal of the long day in my room.
The room is of Scandinavian design:
The closet, rest room and shower are located to the left, but the grand feature is a spa bath:
Sunrise over the Han River: (27 bridges and 12 metro/train lines cross this water body):
The breakfast buffet was outstanding:
I then went into Seoul and bought a couple Fantom shirts, and admiring various artworks;
The cherry blossoms are now at peak on Walker Hill:
Next door to the W is a Sheraton Grande with a casino.
With each waft of wind, petals fell like snow:
I missed lunch, so had a late afternoon foie gras hamburger in my room with the rest of the W Cab:
Goodbye from the W on Walker Hill:
-
Tropical Cyclone Ita, now at 70 MPH, is projected to attain Category 3 strength, make landfall way north of Townsville, then hug the coastline towards this city:
-














No comments:
Post a Comment