Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

SUNSET AT KAILUA-KONA

I'm here in Kailua-Kona for the Hawaii - Okinawa Clean Energy Cooperation Working Group Ocean Energy Workshop.  First the sunset:



Then dinner at Kai, as interfaced by Debbie and Sean, was fine, with three wines:


The Penfolds Shiraz was not exactly a Penfolds Shiraz Grange Hermitage (where one bottle has sold for $50,000).  It had the highest alcohol content of the three, 14%, but tasted almost foul.  The Robert Mondavi Meritage (13.5% ethanol) was good, while the State of Washington 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon (13.5%) was the best.  I was asked to try this third wine, sort of their house wine.  It was free.

I started with a miso soup and Waimea greens enhanced Caesar salad:

The prime rib came with a side of artisan cheeses, chili mahimahi/braised Chinese cabbage and pineapple sesame soy chicken, plus coconut ginger rice:
I just couldn't get to the dessert bar.  I waddled back to my room.

I should add that the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort is a whole lot better than any time I've stayed here in the past 20 years.  One of the reviews complained about cockroaches, and that would have taken me in a whole different direction if I confronted a B 52 variety in my room, but I was, actually, impressed with the service and layout.


-

No comments: