Can we blame 9/11 and terrorists? Here is how the USA has fared since that memorable date (from Forbes):
Gold, incidentally, dropped $38/toz to $1744, so that is interesting, for there is normally an inverse relationship. Oil was, though, economically consistent, dropping to $80/barrel (WTI) and $108/barrel. This $28/barrel discrepancy, though, confounds me.
So what do all the above indicators tell us? I don't know. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm hoping for a 735 Dow drop so that I can begin buying over the weekend. Well, I might wait until Monday night to see if we are again heading into where we were less than four years ago. Remember, the Dow was up to almost 14,164 on 9October2007 and crashed to 6470 on 6March2009:
- Peak Oil strikes, suddenly sending petroleum rocketing past $150/barrel, staying there for a few years, or
- Global Warming catalyzes The Venus Syndrome (then, who cares about depression)
- Iran decimates Israel (the odds are higher, though, for Israel to strategically bomb nuke targets in Iran, which might improve the world economy) or
- Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Ireland all default in the same month or
- any Republican is elected President of the USA next year (just joking) or
...meaning, perhaps, a double dip, but not much more, for what are the odds of any of the above actually happening?