Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

MY LIFE IN DECADEL TRANSITIONS: Part 1

I awoke this morning and thought about the transitions in my life.  Interestingly enough, they occurred every ten years.  Part 1 takes me through the ages of 0 to 70 and Part 2, two years later (1952 to 2012, still to come).  Part 2 was a lot more traumatic.

I was born in 1940, the Year of the Dragon, and there is a Chinese proverb, "May you live in interesting times," which, in reality, is a curse.  Well, good thing I've traced my roots to Northern Japan, for these interesting times have generally been wonderful.  The closest I've come to this forecast were in these transition years.  The top song of my birth year was "In the Mood (Glen Miller)" and film, Bambi.  I was there the following year, 7December1941, only a few miles from Pearl Harbor.

In 1950, song ("Goodnight, Irene", Weavers, with Pete Seeger), film (Cinderella).  Can't remember anything when I was in the fourth grade at Pohukaina.  The Korean War started.

1960 found me at Stanford University, song ("A Summer Place", Percy Faith), film (Swiss Family Robinson).  The Vietnam War really began.

In 1970, I was a graduate student at Louisiana State University, starting my research on building a tunable laser to affect the DNA/RNA bonds of E. coli.  I remember those football games, Pete Maravich, Mardi Gras, the first Earth Day.  Song ("Bridge Over Troubled Water", Simon and Garfunkel), film (Love Story).

I worked for Senator Spark Matsunaga in D.C. in 1980, and helped draft original legislation on hydrogen, OTEC and wind energy.  Song ("Call Me", Blondie), film (Star Wars:  Empire Strikes Back).    Second energy crisis hurting economy, Mount St. Helens exploded and the Iraq-Iran war started.

My creativity reached a peak in 1990.  Song ("Nothing Compares 2 U", Sinead O'Connor), film (Home Alone).  I was director of the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute at the University of Hawaii, and this was the time frame when thinking of the Blue Revolution began and research on hydrogen (I chaired the World Hydrogen Energy Conference, held in Hawaii) was initiated. Perhaps the fugu testicles meal I had in Kita-Kyushu had something to do with stimulating my imagination.  The details can be found in Chapter 4 of SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth.

I retired in 2000 to do something else for the rest of my life.  Maybe the best decision I ever made.  Song ("Maria, Maria", Santana--this is the best selling song from Billboard, and I can't recall ever hearing it), film (How the Grinch Stole Christmas--can't believe this, either).  Bush gets fewer votes but is selected president over Gore, Hillary a U.S. Senator, Australian Olympics...not much of a year, actually.

2010 was a memorable year, with Pearl passing away in 2009, I dedicated myself to dropping off her ashes at the Taj Mahal and Mount Kilimanjaro, a journey that took two around the world trips and four months. Book #3 was published.  Song (Katy Perry's "California Gurls" was the top digital), film (Toy Story 3).






Thus Disney films (Bambi to Toy Story 3) started and ended these transition years.  Yes, I've had a fantasy life.  Part 2 will be a lot more influential.

-
The Dow Jones Industrials went up 34 to 11,672, while world markets also mostly increased.  Gold rose $8/toz to $1383 and petroleum is now at $91/barrel.

-

No comments: