Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

ST. REGIS PRINCEVILLE

Sometimes things go right, and sometimes not.  My stay at the St. Regis Princeville has not gone perfectly. First, yesterday afternoon, the staff member taking my bag to my room asked whether I wanted the sliding window to Hanalei Bay open or closed.  I said open because there was a slight breeze and it was just cool enough.  Then Kathy/Chris/Jim came over, and we had a drink or two as we watched the sunset.  Unfortunately, there are mosquitos here and some of them snuck into my room.   Thus, that night, I barely slept because they kept buzzing my ear.  I killed one, but there were more.  It was a terrible night.

Here, two weeks in Tanzania and Kenya, with mosquitos capable of transmitting yellow fever (Aedes aegypti to the left) and malaria, and I get two bites, total, for the entire trip, which thankfully ended there.  However, last night, I was stung at least a dozen times and at one point I had to sleep under the sheet, which, if you've ever tried it, makes it hard to breathe and is too warm.  Considering how much I'm paying, and not being warned to close the screen door.  This is inexcusable, and I told my butler such.  (He did leave three beers in ice for me, though, when I returned from gold this afternoon.)  At least Kauai mosquitos don't have those viruses, and as far as I know, there are no dangerous diseases spread by Kauai mosquitos.  Yet, they have killed off the O'o and other bird species, to the right.

Then, today, I went to the Prince Course, still indicated in their web page as the #1 golf course in Hawaii.  I would rate it as roughly equal to the Pali Municipal Golf Course.  The views are comparable and both are not proud of their greens and sand traps.  Visitors are charged $200.  I'm staying here, so paid "only" $100.  Hawaii has 104 golf courses,  I would place this Prince course at, maybe, #75.

However, there is a reason for this.  On January 28 they are stopping play for 5 months to spruce up the course.  I imagine they gave up taking care of the course, and it shows.  Anyway, here are two photos.

Oh, one plus is that there are a lot of Nene geese:

Tonight I dine at the St. Regis Kauai Grill.  Return for the full report.  It's a Jean-Georges Vongerichten creation  Maybe things will change.

-
I thought the market would crash today because of Steve Jobs, but, not so, +51 to 11,838, while world markets also mostly went up.  Gold increased $10/toz to $1371 and petroleum is at $91.52/barrel.

-

No comments: