Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

KAUAI GRILL AT PRINCEVILLE

The sunset was, to continue the down day, unspectacular, but this is the view from Table #81, probably the best you can find on Kauai:

To balance my day, though I had one of my better meals, ever, on Kauai, the Grill at the St Regis Princeville.  Looking to my left:
No doubt, the best restaurant on the island.  The cuisine, by Jean-Georges Vongerichtenwas exceptional.

My serving partner for the meal was Anela, from Wailua.  She once lived in my general environs on Nuuanu, and moved back home, and is now at the St. Regis.  I had two carafes:  2009 Babich Sauvigion Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand, and 2008 Castle Rock Pinot Noir (Pearls' favorite wine, which is also known as Burgandy, from France) from Monterey.  

The first course was a hearts of palm with tomatoes, avocado and coconut.  I loved it, for it was the right size and crispy.

.

This was followed by a roasted foie gras, accompanied by mango and young ginger, right up there among the best ever.  The half ripe mango (from Mexico, of all the places) was a perfect complement.

Then the pièce de résistance, a seared wagyu beef,  complemented by fingered mushrooms, anointed with soy caramel sauce, bottomed by thin white asparagus. You can see a lot of foam, which is now the in thing in fine cuisine, pioneered by El Bulli chef, Ferran Adria, the current steeple of epicurean adventure.  This beef comes from Australia, but it was as good as those from Omi and Matsuzaka (above, at $300/pound). The fat is addictive.




-

No comments: