Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 12, 2017

MY WEEKEND IN PURGATORY: Part 1 Honolulu

As I live in Purgatory, common sense tells me that I should be doing everything possible to purify myself.  But I have yet to take the course on exactly how best to do this.  So let me continue on my merry way by living life to the fullest.

My weekend began on Friday when I went golfing at the Ala Wai Golf Course. Apparently there is volcanic haze even in Purgatory, for here is essentially the same scene taken on Wednesday, then Friday:


Again, Wednesday, then Friday:


If you can see it, you will breath it.  I walked 18 holes both days anyway and am now getting to my ideal weight.  My Tai Chi golf swing is continuing to improve.  While only a couple of weeks ago a good drive for me was 180 yards, I'm more consistently now hitting the ball past 200 yards, and on Wednesday reached 270 yards with some aiding wind.  Incredibly, I think my $5.63 per dozen Walmart Nitro (imprinted on it is ULTIMATE DISTANCE) golf ball might well be an important second reason for these extraordinary distances, for me.  So much so that I actually went to Walmart on Thursday, and purchased two dozen more for around $11 before my readers learn of my secret and make a run for those balls.  A Titlist Pro V-1, in comparison, costs $4 each.

I tend to have something local to eat Friday nights on my lanai.  15 Craigside provided most of the below for $1.50 (the take-out cost--lau lau, lomi salmon, chicken long rice, poi and rice), plus I enhanced a typical poke with kazunoko, or herring roe, high in Omega-3 fatty acids.  There was an unfortunate overdose of sodium to the meal, but I did walk 36 holes.



The dessert was haupia, or coconut pudding.

To further enjoy the twilight I thought about a taste of Louis XIII, but settled for a Bas-Armagnac Reserve and thought about smoking a cigar, but, of course, that is not allowed anywhere near this building.


 Then I watched Hawaii beat Stanford at volleyball, where the streak is now 29 sets in a row.

On Saturday, I participated in Honolulu Biennial 2017, an art-centered festival running at nine venues.  The recently closed Sports Authority on Ward Avenue is now The Hub, but charges $7 to view (left) their stuff.  Frankly, I was not aware of the Downtown Honolulu facet of this celebration until I walked into the various closed streets where there must have been 50 booths

I've never seen so many food trucks in a row:


While tempted, I decided to walk around, and chose Grondin.  Two years ago Chaine des Rotisseurs had an outing here, so I thought I'd revisit the place:


Hawaii still has these blue laws that do everything to minimize your becoming an alcoholic.  The government should grow up and allow us to live life our way.  Those tables on the sidewalk?  You can eat there, if you don't drink any alcoholic beverage.  Can you imagine Paris with this attitude?  So I went inside and had a spectacular marrow dish:


The drink was a Michelada, or beer in Bloody Mary.  This was the most marrow I've had in one sitting, ever, by far.  In fact, combine what I've had in the past six Osso Bucos and those would have matched what was in the bone above.

There is a new restaurant, Senia, located between S&K and The Pig and the Lady on King Street:


Former Vintage Cave chef, Chris Kajioka, and Anthony Rush met while working for Thomas Keller at Per Se.  They actually had preview tastings of Senia in San Francisco and Manhattan.  Supposedly not so expensive for fine cuisine, but only open for dinner.  I was tempted to bus back downtown, but poker prevailed.  I might add that all University of Hawaii baseball, softball and volleyball teams won this weekend, with Hawaii again blanking Stanford Saturday night.

On the walk home I observed either awesome giant pink lady bugs, or polka-dotted snails:


Only in Purgatory do you see such creatures.

My weekend continues today through the night in Waikiki, where I'll be staying at the Sheraton on the beach and enjoy the dances, parade and food of the 23rd Annual Honolulu Festival.   I haven't yet decided where and what to eat, but the fun is in the exploration.  I partially do this is as a public service for those afar who would need to waste two days coming and going, with all the hassle and cost of travel.  I just catch free bus rides to Waikiki and back.

-

No comments: