Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2017

JUST ANOTHER GREAT WEEKEND IN HONOLULU

Tomorrow, the final of SETI, Part 5.

Today, just another enjoyable weekend.  I'm now in my 18th year of retirement, and save for that month when Pearl was in intensive care and passed away, these years have been the best of my life.  With minor downs, I'm largely living life my way, and, of all the places, in Purgatory, also known as 15 Craigside.  Why?  Every night is a party and there are no large flying cockroaches.

Since I've been here in my version of Purgatory, I've been allowed to see the world and enjoy the range of fine cuisines.  My next around the world journey begins towards the end of March.  I return home early in May after a week of golfing at Napa Valley, where on May 5 our golf group will again enjoy Cinco de Mayo in Vacaville.

I still maintain an office at the University of Hawaii, some achievement, as I don't know of anyone else who has been retired so long and still tolerated on the Manoa Campus.  I am trying to shift a Blue Evolution into the Blue Revolution, for which, by the way, I can recommend Seasteading, by Joe Quirk:

Two-thirds of our globe is Planet Ocean, not Planet Earth.

Imagine a vast new source of sustainable and renewable energy that would also bring more equitable economies. A previously untapped source of farming that could produce significant new sources of nutrition. Future societies where people could choose the communities they want to live in, free from the restrictions of conventional citizenship. This bold vision of our near future as imagined in Seasteadingattracted the powerful support of Silicon Valley’s Peter Thiel—and it may be drawing close to reality.

There is a subtitle:  How Floating Nations Will Restore the Environment, Enrich the Poor, Cure the Sick, and Liberate Humanity from Politicians.  I first met Joe at the 2012 Seasteading Institute gathering held in San Francisco.  Watch my speech on the Blue Revolution.  Joe liberally quoted from my pontifications.  Feel free to send your enlightened billionaire desiring a monumental future legacy to Blue Revolution Hawaii.

So, anyway, in addition to traveling the world to develop the Blue Revolution, my daily routine incorporates golf for exercise, Tai Chi for balance and watching University of Hawaii teams play on television.  This weekend has been special, for both the men's and women's basketball teams won their games, and yesterday I found my way to the Lower Manoa Campus to support the women's softball team playing Montana, men's baseball team against the University of San Francisco and men's volleyball team versus Pepperdine.

First, though, Lily's 5th birthday party at Mariposa on Saturday:


Know the difference between a popover and Yorkshire Pudding?  The latter involves a tad of drippings from beef roast.

Sunday started with lunch at Sushi King.


Garlic ahi (yellow fin tuna) and cold soba with miso soup and rice, plus beer and hot sake.  My best Japanese meal this year.  This could well remain #1 even after my two weeks in Japan in April.

First softball:


As I walked in, it was the top of the first inning and a Montana player hit a home run, driving in two runs.  However, in the bottom of the first, a grand slam for Hawaii:


One of the ultimate great names:  Chardonnay Pantastico.  Note also that white building in the background.  That's Holmes Hall, where I spent a quarter century, and, next door, the Pacific Ocean Science and Technology building, where I currently have my office.  Hawaii won, 9-3.

Then on to baseball, with the most picturesque view of any stadium:


The first two games, beginning on Thursday, the University of San Francisco won 3-1 in eleven innings.  Yesterday and today, Hawaii won 3-2 in nine innings.

The timing was then ideal for me to walk over to the volleyball game with Pepperdine.


Hawaii won in three sets Friday night, and again on Sunday.  What a great weekend.

As I see 100 films/year (half in theaters), I just had to show 16-year old  Aulii Carvalho from Hawaii singing as Moana from the Academy Awards show last night:


To the shock of most, Moonlight won Best Picture, for at $22 million, it was one of the lowest grossing films of all time to win this award.  I sense that part of the shift in colors this year was a reaction to the fuss created last year.  Never went to this film.   Rotten Tomatoes reviewers did bestow a 98% rating.

Also did not see Manchester by the Sea featuring Casey Afleck as Best Actor.  La La Land, which I did not think too much of, did win 6 Oscars, with Emma Stone as Best Actress and Damien Chazelle as Best Director, the youngest ever, who just turned 32.  Musicals just do not do well with voters, as 15 years ago Chicago was the last of this genre to win an Oscar for Best Picture.

Incredibly enough, the Dow Jones Industrial Average matched it longest streak ever, closing for the 12th session at record high, up 15 to 20,837.  The S&P 500 also closed at an all-time high, rising 2 to 2,372.

-

No comments: