HEI stock initially jumped, but like the rest of the stock market, has recently dropped. The market cap of HEI is $3 billion, while that of NextEra is $43 billion, where only Duke Energy is larger. HEI has a production capacity of around 1800 MW, while NextEra is close to 50,000 MW.
|Plant Type ( USD/MWh)||Low||High|
|Solar PV-Rooftop Residential||180||265|
|Solar PV-Rooftop C&I||126||177|
|Solar PV-Crystalline Utility Scale||72||86|
|Solar PV-Thin Film Utility Scale||72||86|
- Undersea electricity cables linking all the Hawaiian Islands, except for Kauai.
- Large wind and solar farms on Lanai, Molokai and the Big Island.
- More than 100 MW of geothermal power from the Big Island, and, maybe even Maui.
- Perhaps a 10 MW OTEC plantship off Honolulu, if not 100 MW.
- I don't think we will get close to 100% renewable electricity by 2030.