There was a study reported yesterday with the headline:
- Avoid accidents and illnesses.
- Don't Worry, Be Happy.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- If you're old enough, have a glass of wine a day. In fact, people who drink any type of alcohol live longer than those who abstain.
- Calorie restriction and fasting seem to promote longer life.
- However, as I reported in this blog, overweight people live longer than normal individuals, so this seems contradictory.
- Resveratrol (in grapes/nuts--the miracle compound in red wine) can mimic calorie restriction and Rapamycin (produced by the bacterium Streptomycin hygroscopic) has been found to extend the lifespan of mice .
- Hormone therapy shows some promise.
- Even drinking coffee can extend your life. So, apparently, can eating chocolate. Or going to church.
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD), a chemical found in every living organism can turn on defenses against aging.
- We all have chromosomes, with protective caps at either end called telomeres.
- With each cell replication, the telomeres shorten.
- If we can find a way to reverse this process, you should be able to check aging.
There are two ocean storms of some note, but both are headed out into the open ocean and will not be a threat to any major population area. First, in the West Pacific is Typhoon Songda, already at 120 MPH:
Then in the Atlantic is Tropical Storm Nicole at 55 MPH, but to strengthen into a hurricane: