Total Pageviews

Friday, March 27, 2015

TWO MODERN MIRACLES

A 2010 Pew Research Center report indicated that 79% of Americans believe in miracles.  55% of Americans are convinced there are religious miracles, a 22% jump since 1992.  Why this increase when more and more are turning away from organized religion?  The report cites Oprah.

Let me start with sainthood.  The Catholic Church has had 2,565 official saints.  It is speculated that a little more than 100 billion people have ever lived on Planet Earth.  Say half of them came after Jesus Christ, when the Catholic church was formed.  Then, you have one chance in 20 million to become a saint. As around 15% of the world is Catholic, your odds improve to one chance in 3 million if you're Catholic.  Both Jesus' parents were made saints, this is why there are so many schools named St. Mary's and St. Joseph's.  

I bring sainthood up because a saint needs to perform two miracles to become one.  In addition, of course, to being venerable, pious and having the faith.  Mother Theresa was beatified, meaning she was credited for one miracle, but might never attain sainthood, for she is said to have lost her faith.  Like belief in God and the Afterlife, countries vary widely:


You ask, why is the percent at 55 in the the first paragraph and 72 in this bar graph, when this figure was supposed to increase in this two decade period?  Such is the nature of religion and surveys.  This is not quantum physics, which, by the way, is a lot more arcane than religion.  For example, we can only discern 4% of matter/energy, as 96% of everything has never been detected, and is temporarily known as dark matter and dark energy.

Now that you should be sufficiently confused, let's go back to becoming a saint.  Most canonization (the second step to become a saint) miracles tend to involve "saving" a life, usually through prayer, although Jesus walking on water  has been mentioned as an example of a religious miracle, but not one particularly useful for sainthood.
Read my chapter on the Golden Evolution in SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Humanity for details, although this blog site serialized the book, beginning with Part 2.  The pages on modern miracles are found here, first written in 2007 when I started my experiment with razor #1.

I dropped this modern marvel a year or so later, it broke, so I bought a second Schick.  Now in daily use for at least six years, it looks cruddy, but still works, and well.

Mind you, there is something called the Infinity Razor, which can be purchased from Amazon.com for $4.24, using "carbon injected steel technology to create blades so sharp they never get dull."  My chemical engineering PhD knowledge tells me that some corrosion should have occurred by now to my blade, but, no, it still works, and, therefore, this must be a modern miracle.  You can Google reviews of the Infinity razor, and I suspect Gillette and Schick got their staff to talk stink about this threat.  I've never bought the Infinity version because my Schick still operates well.

Why do I bother to bring this subject up today?  Well, half my daily readers are new to this site, so I'm just educating a whole new generation of viewers to this astonishing facet of our lifestyle.  I've suggested to many of my friends to either verify or dispute my claim, but no one has yet bothered to try.

For the second modern miracle, I advance that incredible soap between the bedsheets (place that bag which holds the bar safety pinned to the bed, to be covered by the sheet) system that prevents leg cramps.  I quote from my book:

It sounds looney, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but  a true miracle is that urban legend: a bar of soap between the bedsheets will prevent leg cramps. There is something about getting older and lying horizontal. My wife and I, now and then, no, make it frequently, used to suffer from painful cramps. That bar was placed a few months ago, and, amazingly, no leg cramps.  Place the unwrapped soap in a cloth bag under the bottom sheet at the bottom of your bed.  For some reason, Dove and Dial, apparently, don't work. Ann Landers a long time ago mentioned this solution, and so do some doctors. What is the explanation? No one knows. There is no scientific proof. But it works. It’s a puzzlement, or miracle. Maybe there is a God. Hopefully, this crack in rationality will lead me to an afterlife.

I still use the same bar in the same sack and it still works.  I don't remember the last time I had leg cramps in bed.  It also serves as a useful navigational tool to inform me that I'm in the middle of the bed to minimize falling to the floor when I sleep.  Even Snopes is mystified.  Got to be a miracle.

-
Just a 50 MPH ocean storm far east of the Philippines, Tropical Storm 4 looms to become a very powerful typhoon and head for the Philippines:


-

No comments: