Orchids come from the Greek orkhis, meaning testicle, because of the shape of the twin tubers, The orchid family:
- is scientifically known as Orchidaceae
- there are around 25,000 species found in 880 genera, like Cattleya and Dendrobium
- the Honohono scientific name is Dendrobium anosmum, and is one of 1,400 species.
- Did you know that there are twice the number of orchid species than birds, and four times that of mammals?
- vanilla is an orchid (right)
- horticulturists have produced more than 100,000 hybrids and cultivars: