- fission (which depends on the splitting of large atoms like from Uranium and Plutonium--or, the Atomic Bomb): this is the process used by all commercial nuclear facilities today
- fusion (fuses small elements, like Hydrogen--think Hydrogen Bomb--yes, this is the much bigger bomb, but think of the potential for peace--plus it's much cleaner)
- our Sun and all stars generate heat through fusion
- on Earth, scientists are tinkering with magnetic confinement (ITER in France) and inertial confinement (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory): I cannot report on anything optimistic today, but the future of Humanity will depend on success here
- then there is Lockheed Martin's compact fusion machine
- there is also a concept called Cold Fusion, where the reaction occurs at room temperature, as compared to 15 million degrees C in our Sun, 150 million C for ITER and 100 million C for laser fusion, and here is just one opinion:
Nuclear Power in the USA
Tomorrow, or so, I will present Part 2B: The Ultimate Energy System. I can provide a hint of what this will be:
- I worked for Edward Teller at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory on nuclear fusion.
- In 1989 I hired possibly the first cold fusion expert at any academic institution when I was director of the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute at the University of Hawaii.
- I wrote the original legislation in the U.S. Senate for hydrogen.