Total Pageviews

Friday, November 28, 2014

FALL CIRCLE PACIFIC ADVENTURE: Day 26A--Nagoya Castle

My day started with a Japanese breakfast at St. Regis:


On the Shinkansen to Nagoya, I thought I'd again try a tonkatsu:


Big mistake.  As cold Macdonald's french fries are awful, worse is a tonkatsu bento.  Well, I checked into the Westin Nagoya Castle, and this my room is my spectacular view:


The castle was built 400 years ago, partially destroyed in World War II, but remains largely the original.

Nagoya, the fourth largest city in Japan, is known for unagi, teriyaki Japanese freshwater eel on rice.  So I asked the concierge of a lunch location ideal for me.  I was sent to Shirakawa, which was a 20 minute walk.  It was closed.  So I bought at 7/11 (yes, they have them in Japan) a fat arabiki (Japanese sausage) and a bottle of Smirnov orange drink, walked back to Nagoya Castle, and enjoyed my lunch.  

I then leisurely strolled around the castle grounds, which must have been at least two miles.  A few photos:


There was something striking about the green.  A few animals:


-

No comments: