Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 8, 2013

GALA CHAINE DES ROTISSEURS HOLIDAY SUPPER

The Honolulu chapters of Chaines des Rotisseurs, an eating society that traces way back to 1248, has an annual gala dinner during the holiday season at the Halekulani Hotel.  I initially missed sending my confirmation because I was on a trip, but Kathryn Nicholson was an angel and found a vacancy.  I decided to stay at the Waikiki Sheraton to shore up my platinum status, starting with a free beach drink:


My room is a rather large suite with a spectacular view:


To the bottom left is another kind of view:


The Sheraton provided a nice welcome gift:


A bottle of Sheraton chardonnay, macadamia nut shortbread cookies, Asahi beer and Kirin beer.

I dressed into my tux with red trimmings, but still had an hour, so went up to the Leahi Club for a glass of wine:


This is the best view of any Sheraton executive club.

Then on to the Halekulani for the traditional ceremonies, led by Bruce Liebert in the middle:


We started with a NV Chartogne-Taillet Brut Cuvee Sainte Anne Merfy Champagne with assorted hors d'oeuvres.  The first course was cured duck on rare foie gras and persimmons, with a 2010 Domaine de l'Alliance Sauternes:


This was probably the highlight dish of the night.  The second course was lobster, caviar and truffle on grits, with  2008 Au Bon Climat Chardonnay Nuits Blanches.


I scraped off the gold, caviar and truffles to taste, because I'm allergic to crustaceans  The next course was a white fish, legine austral and orange carrot essence, with a 2011 Meyer-Fonne Gew├╝rztraminer Dorfburg Vielles Vignes.  Okay.

The real loser was the prime strip loin with braised mushrooms and bordelaise sauce, plus a 2008 Col Solare red wine.


First, our whole table wondered about the extreme rare quality, and a couple sent it back for frying.  There was only a butter knife, so cutting the beef was a problem.  After you somehow got it into an edible piece, it was too tough.  I can't believe the Halekulani allows this!

Dessert and mignardises:


There was a sense that the quality of this feast was inferior.  Sitting to my left were Qi and John:


To my right, Donna, JN and Linda (right to left):


Cathy Foy (former Miss Hawaii) entertained:


-

2 comments:

Garcinia Cambogia Formula said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you
This article impressed me, I also have a useful article
Buy Garcinia Cambogia

PLANET EARTH AND HUMANITY said...

Feel free to share my blog site with anyone.

I should mention that I saw somewhere that taking Garcinia Cambogia could weaken skeletal muscles. I thus stopped taking it, even though when I went back to reference it, I couldn't find the listing. If nothing else pops up in the meantime, I'll go back to GC because I did lose weight with no obvious side effects, and I have two bottles left.

However, sometime over the next few days I'll elaborate on the latest advice from the medical profession and the BBC (http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-programme-reveals-vitamins-could-2389293) to skip all those vitamins and supplements. They not only don't work, but could hurt you.