Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

TOKYO TO OSAKA ON THE SHINKANSEN


A fun day, starting with a decadent breakfast at the Tokyo Westin:


Then on the sleek, slick and pathologically punctual Shinkansen to Osaka:


Not much of a view of Mount Fuji:


So I took a photo at one of the passing stations:


The Osaka St. Regis is one of the better hotels I've ever experienced.  It is 1.5 years old and is fabulous.  The shower/bath combination is larger than my entire bathroom, with a large HD television.  They don't have an Executive Club, so you can use $35/day worth of drinks from the room collection.

Surprisingly, the Sakura is now at peak in Kansai.  It was nearing an end in Tokyo.  Generally, it's warmer to the south, but Osaka is about on the same parallel as Tokyo, and closer to China and Korea, which somehow must provide cool.  

I took  a hundred photos, but let me show just a few.  Here is something I've never seen before, a green cherry blossom:


I was so exhausted that I brought a chorizo pizza and tuna/corn/greens salad back to my room and had it with a bottle of wine provided by the hotel, plus a beer:


A bonus was that the NHK channel had a Sakura/nostalgic song fest featuring music of the 1940-50's, an era I collect:


-

No comments: