There are eleven Disney theme parks, with two next to each other in Japan: Tokyo Disneyland (1983) and Tokyo DisneySea (2001). Interestingly enough, DisneySea now attracts more visitors than Disneyland. It cost $4 billion to build DisneySea.
I found, though, DisneySea to be disappointing. What kind of imagineering is it that comes up with a mountain, Mount Prometheus, as the centerpiece for an ocean attraction? Sure, marine themes prevail, but a dominating mountain? Looks like the Disney architects have a one-track mind when it comes to theme parks.
However, there is opportunity for the next DisneySea to be truly creative, and such a marine park attached to the Pacific International Ocean Station could make the crucial difference for long-term success.
I indicated at the information desk that I wished to have dinner at their best restaurant. The man thought I was kidding. He said this is Saturday night and it is IMPOSSIBLE, although I could stand in line and hope to luck out. There are four top restaurants and something called Magellan seemed like the top one. So after walking around a bit I happened to stroll by this place and asked if I could have a table. No problem. It was only half filled. However, it was 4:45PM, and by the time I finished eating the tables were just about all taken. The decor seemed Spanish and the servers were dressed in costumes evocative of that country:
I first had a green salad with three cheeses, followed by scallops, with a sherry and glass of beer (Tokyo Disneyland, apparently, does not serve alcohol):
Followed by beef cheeks:
And ended with a creme brulee:
The meal was a bit pricey, but a lot cheaper than Okumura's. The sherry, for example, was approximately the volume of a thimble and cost $9. On my way out I came to a conclusion that this was not classical Spanish food, after all.
Lines are not a real problem here because most activities involve a system called FastPass, where you feed your entrance card into a machine, and select when you might want to enter. It worked for my 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride, although the visual effects were uninspired and really an embarrassment.
It was so cold that I considered purchasing a Donald Duck hat, for it was large and fuzzy and would cover my head and ears if you pulled it down:
I do look somewhat goofy, but that did not bother me. I did not buy it because it cost $24.
The closest I got to Snow White was at the rather spectacular sound and light show called Fantasmic:
Snow White is suddenly in, as there are two new movies about her:
Well, those were the wicked queens above, so villainously played by Julia Roberts and Charlize Theron. You thought Charlize was reprehensible in Monster, just wait till you view her in Snow White and the Hunstman (SNATH). The reviewers gave Mirror, Mirror a 49% rating, SNATH has not yet been officially released, while the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs scored 97%. And here are the Snow Whites (the name derived from face as white as snow):
Lily Collins from MM:
Kristenn Steward from SNATH
and the original:
-












No comments:
Post a Comment