Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

TOKYO TO AMSTERDAM

After the agony of 12March2012, it is, indeed, an ultra luxury to board the limousine bus at the Tokyo Westin, and be dropped off at Narita.  Then, the executive club fed you:


With the beef/potato soup, onigiri and hot soba I had three alcoholic drinks:  Bloody Mary, new Hakushu single malt scotch and beer.  But I'm wiser now, unlike the time when I flew from Honolulu to Bangkok and had 24 drinks, just about drinking them all.  I now just taste them.

It took around 12 hours to fly from Tokyo to Munich, arriving at 6PM, which is 6AM Hawaii time.  The flight was enjoyably uneventful.


Interesting that the customs/immigration process in Europe does not involve any forms.  You just show your passport, and that’s it!  This sort of makes sense for why should the government tax you for items you buy out of the country when have already paid their tax.  I've never bothered to collect the VAT tax possible from some countries.  Also, which smuggler will indicate on those forms that he is sneaking in something illegal, and which criminal will admit to being one.  The European Community has vastly simplified this process, saving a lot of time and money.

The Munich Airport is very generous.  Free expresso/coffee/tea machines everywhere, next to free newspapers from around the world.  I read my first USA Today in years.

The Lufthansa Senator Lounge is an oasis.  My meal:


 Note the Germanic theme.  The connection to Amsterdam was easy and I only had a five minute walk to the Sheraton at Schipol.

Tomorrow, on to the tulips!

-

No comments: