Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 7, 2010

LE GUIGNOL AND ELTON

One of Pearl's favorite performances starred Elton John. Thus, when I heard he was coming, I bought a loge ticket in the middle and made reservations at Le Guignol, located across the street from the concert hall.



The restaurant has had a storybook past, with the original owners, Beatrice and Michel, just passing on this French restaurant to one of their staff, Shane Sutton, who left for Las Vegas, leaving everything to his younger brother Ala, who did his culinary training in Brest (France) and New York City. Ala's wife, Aletha, is now in charge of the service, replacing Auntie Leilani, kumu alaka'i of Mea Hula O Ke Anuenue, mother of the two chefs. She, unfortunately, passed away last year. Pearl and I got to know Leilani well, a second reason why I chose this restaurant. Above is a photo of Ala and Aletha.

Parking is free, and you will enter the Young Street entrance, leaving the car there until after the event. Bring your own wine, with a minimal $5 corkage charge/bottle. I drank a Stanford University Governor's Selection Cabernet Sauvignon from Thomas Fogarty...the whole bottle.

I started with a vichyssoise (excellent), followed by foie gras in a tart cherry sauce (also very good) and mesclun greens, then escargots (terrific) with a blue cheese salad (not the best, for it was mostly cherry tomatoes, which I don't like), on to a French onion soup (perhaps a bit too starchy for me), ending with a vanilla creme brulee (exquisite) accompanied by a generous portion of strawberries/boysenberries. The meal started at 5:45 and I left at 7:45, just in time for Elton:

He's there to the left (I have noticed that my iPhone does not take great indoor distance shots), started slowly with five songs I never heard before, then sang on for two and a half hours, mid-way being accompanied by Ray Cooper, a fantastic percussionist.

The sound system at the arena was outstanding, with Elton's piano playing better than ever and Ray's drums spectacular.

-
The Dow Jones Industrials rose 33 to 10,607, with world markets being mixed. Gold dropped $12/toz to $1124 and oil is at $82/barrel. I bought Lightbridge (formerly known as Thorium Power).

-

No comments: