Mars has intrigued us for a very long time:
- Before the second millennium BC in Egypt Mars was portrayed on the ceiling of Seti 1's (right, who ruled around 3300 years ago) tomb. What a name.
- Plato, 2635 years ago, indicated that the Moon was the closest, Sun next, then Venus, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.
- Galileo Galilei in 1610 was the first to actually observe Mars by telescope.
- The two moons, Phobos and Deimos, were found by Asaph Hall using the telescope at the U.S. Naval Observatory in 1877. This was the year Italian Giovanni Schiaparelli used a telescope to draw the canals of Mars.
- Percival Lowell popularized these canals in 1897 as built by Martians, the year British author H.G. Wells wrote the War of the Worlds about a Martian invasion.
- In 1938 Orson Welles performed War of the Worlds on radio and caused mass hysteria. It was Halloween, but many missed the disclaimer.
save for Jimmy Carter, has had some semblance of a manned mission to Mars plan:
- Richard Nixon: manned mission to Mars by 2000
- Ronald Reagan proclaimed that America should lead the way to colonizing our galaxy
- George H.W. Bush in 1989 announced his plan for an expedition to Mars
- Bill Clinton was a bit conservative and suggested robots to Mars
- George W. Bush sought a manned mission to Mars future
- Barrack Obama called for humans on Mars by the 2030's
- Donald Trump took a step backwards, and indicated humans to the Moon again, then, perhaps Mars.
Tropical Cyclone Marcus is now officially a Super Tropical Cyclone at 160 MPH. However, he is safely at sea well west of Australia and will weaken before heading towards Perth: