- Opiate: natural substances that come from opium (from the poppy flower), and includes morphine, heroin and codeine.
- Opioid: synthetic compounds like fentanyl and methadone.
- Narcotic: an agent that produces insensibility and narcosis. Has generally fallen out of medical use.
- Purified from morphine (opium/poppy).
- Produced mostly (69%-90%) in Afghanistan, but also in Myanmar and other areas.
- Afghan opium kills 100,000 annually worldwide.
- Afghan cultivation of opium reached a peak in 1999 when 350 square miles of poppies were sown, dropping to 30 square miles in 2001 when the Taliban banned cultivation, only to grow back to nearly 300 square miles when the Taliban was removed, with the interim government encouraging this economic crop.
- While you might have thought heroin was a dreaded drug that went away, nope:
- Further, there are now more heroin overdose deaths than gun homicides in the USA.
- Then there is cocaine, illegal, from coca leaves, mostly from South America. This is not an opioid. Why? Who really cares.
- Ecstasy (MDMA) is one of a range of recreational drugs and is also not an opioid and certainly illegal.
- Also still around is LSD, which is unpredictable. Not considered to be an opioid.
- Subsys (Fentanyl) $6,729 (30 spray bottles)
- Oxaydo (Oxycodone) $ 845 (90 tablets, 7.5 mg)
- Morphine (once/day) $ 425 (30 capsules, once daily)
- Opium $ 274 (for diarrhea, very confusing
- prescription amount)
- Oxycontin $ 260 (60 capsules, 10 mg)
- Codeine $ 28 (90 tablets, 30 mg)
- Morphine $ 26 (120 tablets, 15mg)
- Crystal Meth (ICE) $ 100 (gram--a 40 mg snort can
- make you high, but some use
- a gram/day at a cost of
- Heroin $ 200 (gram, but a single dose is
- 0.1 gram, although a hard core
- habit will cost $200/day
- or $72,500/year)
- Ecstasy $ 19 (per pill)
- LSD $ 5-20 (per trip, which is
- 50-150 micrograms)
Well, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 58 to 24,290, yes, breaking another all-time record.