Total Pageviews

Friday, September 16, 2016

A DOOZIE OF A DAY AT THE ALA WAI GOLF COURSE

I golf more than 150 holes/month (when I'm in town), mostly at the Ala Wai Golf Course.


I now almost always walk, pushing a cart, and continue to measure my blood pressure and pulse rate.  Why? My blood pressure is usually on the high side.  When I walk on a golf course, my pulse rate can rise to 130/minute, and, sometimes, my blood pressure can drop to 80/50, making me dizzy.  What was causing this condition, I have now determined, is that when I have a large bento, then soon thereafter golf, these low pressures can occur.  However, if I have a large breakfast, wait a while and eat only an apple or banana on the course, I can keep my pressure in the 100-125 / 60-75 range.  So I think I solved this potentially dangerous problem.

While the Blue Bar Pigeon follows me around the world, at the Ala Wai Golf Course, Red Crested Cardinals visit me:


You need to look closely, but  on the left, my Ala Wai bird is standing just next to my golf bag.

Yesterday was truly monumental, for it was raining some, so that when I showed up to walk on, there was hardly anyone golfing.  I joined a couple on a cart.  We completed the first nine holes in 1 hour and 20 minutes.  I've never walked so fast on a golf course, but, amazingly, my blood pressure never dropped below 105/60.  I was a bit exhausted, but ecstatic that I could accomplish this feat.

However, as great as that was, bad things can happen on a golf course.  There is about a death/year from being struck by a ball, and a bit less so from lightning.  Last year I was walking off the green with a lady and a ball missed her head by less than a foot.  That could have been tragic.  According to Golf Digest, each year, nearly 40,000 golfers are admitted to emergency rooms after being injured at play, mostly from errant golf balls. Should you hit someone with a ball, there could also well be a suit.  Your life can be ruined by something terrible like this.

Me?  First, I never hit a ball until the people ahead of me are way beyond my range.   People on on the side can be another problem I worry about.  A successful golf day for me is not hitting anyone.  Unfortunately, after walking so well in the front nine, on the tenth hole, I stood between two large trees about 10 feet apart and 10 feet away from me.  This should not normally be a problem for me, but I miss-hit the ball, squarely striking one of those trees, and the ball in what seemed like a nano-second careened into my upper right thigh.  I was in shock for a few seconds, and wondered if I could walk.  The pain was severe.  I did finish walking 18 holes.  But here to the left is what my leg looked like in a few hours.  Then below, yesterday and today:


The outer diameter is about that of a softball.  Interesting pattern.  Why that whitish ring band?

A few holes later after this incident, it occurred to me that I could have killed myself with that shot.  Or if the ball hit me a couple inches to the left...hate to think about that deviation.  After a while I began to feel truly lucky.  I was walking and the pain had subsided.  Combined with the earlier 80-minute accomplishment, I thought I'd reward my body, so, after golf, I stopped by J-Shop and got a slice of Japanese Wagyu Beef.  That tiny piece cost $53.11.  I added a package of sashimi.

After a long bath, I had a fabulous sunset dinner on my lanai with a Kirin Beer and hot junmai daiginjo sake :



-
Typhoon Malakas, at 125 MPH, will further strengthen into a Category 4, and skirt Taiwan, missing Naha, on the way up to Japan:


In the Atlantic, Tropical Storm Karl is now projected to become a hurricane, but all computer models show him then moving mostly north and away from the USA:


-

No comments: