Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

PAT GOES TO FETE + A LINK TO OTEC TODAY

This sounds like a grammatical error, but, it's okay if Fete is a restaurant.  I decided today to just walk into town and have lunch.  I pretty much stumbled into this new eatery on the corner of Nuuanu and Hotel at the periphery of Chinatown.  Honolulu magazine had a nice write-up, which reported on their dinner service.  Lunch was even more spartanic and for a medium-scale diner, perhaps a bit pricey.

However, the place was crowded, and I sat next to Cheap Eats Guy Hagi, here with his wife and some colleagues.  If you search you'll see him twice.

I thought the interior was a bit dark, until I took my dark glasses off.  I ordered a long-neck clam with french fries, and a glass of Prosecco.


The mussels were buttery and fine, while the fries stayed relatively crisp on cooling.  I believe I paid $30.

The restaurant is owned by husband/wife Chuck Bussler and Robynn Mai'i, who is the chef.  


She is from this island and they just moved back from New York City.  There is something happening to this corner of downtown Honolulu, for there is a lot of re-modelling ongoing.  Walking through downtown is always a small adventure.  Here, something to do with Jesus and Sin, and I don't think they are protesting the presence of McDonald's:


Marukame Udon, incidentally, my Saturday lunch, is across the mall from McDonald's.


I then decided that tonight I would have sashimi and ox-tail soup on my lanai, so I walked to Oahu Market and found that fish shop on the Ewa-Makai back corner owned by this old Japanese couple.  I remember they being so friendly and accommodating in the past.  I ordered an oily Big-Eye Tuna chunk, where they cut the sashimi for you free, with all the vegetables at the bottom.  The lady said that Blue Fin Tuna is too expensive today.  I asked for some ice and they gave me about seven pounds of it.  I could have thrown some away, but that made the decision to catch The Bus home.

So here is my 15 Craigside Ox-Tail Soup and tuna sashimi, with a special sochu and Kirin beer:


I you're wondering why that yellow water in those trays, I have a running battle with ants, and I thought I'd find a humanitarian solution by preventing them from going back and forth from my herb garden.

The sochu comes from Kumejima, where Japan has one of the two operating ocean thermal energy conversion (OTEC) facilities (left) in the world.  The other one is at Keahole Point on the Big Island (right--click on that link, for it shows an excellent clip of what Makai Ocean Engineering is doing).  The world awaits the first commercial plant.

-

No comments: